If you live in cold areas, the climate can get quite extreme during winters, and wearing warm clothes or using a blanket does not work to keep you warm. In such cases, using a heating appliance inside your home is highly important.
And while there are a lot of heating devices out there, a wood-burning stove is one of the most classic looking options that simply use wood as a fuel. If you also want to buy a wood stove, make sure to consider the following:
- Heat Output: Since a wood-burning stove is mainly used to heat up your surroundings during winters, it should be able to heat up your room properly. To find a high performance, wood-burning stove, you need to check the heat output rating. It includes options like 100000 BTU or 60000 BTU where higher is better.
- Heating Area: Other than the heat output, the heating area of your wood-burning stove is quite important to check. It simply tells you about the area or the room size it can properly heat up. This rating is given in square feet and includes options like 1800 square feet or 2700 square feet, out of which the higher rating is, the better one.
- Lot Size: Just per its name, a wood-burning stove uses wooden logs inside it as fuel for burning during winters. But before you can burn wooden logs, they need to fit inside your stove. As a result, you need to check the supported log size as while some options offer the support for 18-inch logs, others might use a 22-inch wood log.
Despite being a classic and quite an old type of heating device, a wood-burning stove still works great. And today, we are here with some of the best wood-burning stoves along with all their details, features, and options. If that is not enough, you can also find a detailed “Buying Guide” related to wood-burning stoves. All of these things should be handy to buy the perfect wood burning stove after going through this article until the end.
5 Best Wood Burning Stoves
5 Best Wood Burning Stoves Reviews
Most of the product offerings from Drolet are known for offering high-performance numbers that make them ideal for heavy-duty usage. Hence, its wood-burning stove is also highly powerful in comparison to other options out there.
The Drolet HT3000 wood burning stove is present in the 1st position in this article as it is the most powerful option mentioned here. You get the highest heat output or heating rating of up to 110000 BTU/hour with this wood burning stove that is much higher than all other options in this article. Hence, it can be used to warm up your surroundings even during harsh winters. It also offers a pretty high heating area of up to 2700 square feet that is quite high.
When you combine all these features and options, this wood-burning stove makes for a great heavy-duty option. Since you can fit up to 22 inch long wooden logs inside it, most logs should be able to fit without any issues. A great thing about this premium wood burning stove is that it offers a great build quality that easily lasts for a long time. In fact, it even offers a 3-year long warranty that is quite better than most other options out there.
- Heating capacity of 110000 BTU/hour
- Heating area of up to 2700 square feet
- Comes with a 3-year long warranty
- Supports large log size
- Highly powerful wood burning stove
- Ideal for large scale buildings
- A bit on the expensive side
Pleasant Hearth’s Medium size wood burning stove is the most durable and reliable option present in this article. It offer an excellent build quality to the user. Hence, you can expect to keep using this wood burning stove for a long time without any issues. Since it uses wood as a fuel, you get a heat output of 30000 BTU/hour that is decent for most users despite being slightly lower than others.
As for the heating area rating, it can easily heat up a space of up to 1000 square feet that should be more than enough for its users. Just like the previous wood-burning stove, this one also comes with a glass window on the front that adds to the aesthetics as well as allowing you to easily view the wood logs and check whether you need to replace them. Speaking of wood logs, it can expect up to 32-inch log wood logs quite easily
- Heating capacity of 30000 BTU/hour
- Heating area of up to 1000 square feet
- Highly durable and reliable
- Comes with a glass window on the front
- Decent performance numbers
- Not the most compact wood burning stove
As you can tell by the name, most of the products offered by Guide Gear are made for outdoor usage. And even though a wood stove is made for indoor usage, the Guide Gear offering can be used outdoors for camping needs.
This Guide Gear Outdoor wood stove is present in the 3rd position in this article as it is the cheapest option present in this article that makes for a great pick for buyers on a budget. It also happens to be the only option in this article that can be used for outdoor usage. And since you get a decent build quality from it, you get a high value for money. Since it is a budget option, which is to be expected at this price.
Moving over to the performance side of things, it offers a 800 square feet heating area that is quite decent for a stove made for outdoor usage. Unfortunately, it does not have any heat output rating. Since you get a tall chimney with this wood burning stove, the smoke coming from the burning wooden logs should not be an issue in most cases.
- Heating area of up to 800 square feet
- Affordable price tag and high value for money
- Viable for outdoors usage
- Tall chimney for keeping smoke away
In comparison with other options out there, Vogelzang is a lesser-known brand of wood-burning stoves that is quite new in the market but still offers decently performing wood-burning stove options to its buyers.
The Vogelzang Deluxe wood burning stove makes a great pick for a lot of users out there who are looking for a consumer-grade stove that offers decent performance. You get a maximum heat output rating of 69000 BTU/hour with this wood stove that is quite decent. You also get a heating area capacity of up to 1800 square feet that is more than enough for most users. And it can offer these performance numbers while having a small and compact form factor.
One of the most unique things about this wood burning stove is that it comes with a glass window on the front for easily checking the wooden logs inside. Even though you get a decent build quality with this wood burning stove, the lifetime limited warranty can be a letdown for a lot of buyers out there, especially at the given price tag.
- Heating capacity of 69000 BTU/hour
- Heating area of up to 1800 square feet
- Comes with a lifetime limited warranty
- Small and compact form factor
- Decent performance numbers
- Offers a ceramic glass window on the front
While all other wood-burning stoves present in this article use actual wood logs as a fuel for burning inside the stove, the stove model by Pleasant Hearth present in this article is quite different because of the fuel type it uses.
Pleasant Hearth’s wood-burning stove is the most environmentally friendly option mentioned here. Unlike all other options that burn wood, this one comes with artificial wooden logs inside that look quite similar to real ones. And as for its fuel, it uses gas to burn inside so that you can use this wood burning stove in your home while being environmentally friendly. You can either use natural gas or propane gas in it as per your choice.
Since it uses gases and not wooden logs, its heat output rating of 20000 BTU/hour is a bit lower than others. This is also true for its heating area rating that is limited to just 700 square feet, making it ideal for smaller rooms and not large spaces. Its 2 year long warranty is better than most other options out there, making it decently reliable and durable.
- Heating capacity of 20000 BTU/hour
- Heating area of up to 700 square feet
- Comes with a 2-year long warranty
- Highly environmentally friendly
- Decent reliability and durability
- Works with both natural as well as propane gas
- Not the most powerful option
Buying Guide For The Best Wood Burning Stove
There are a lot of stove options out there that you can use for heating up your surroundings in cold climates. While most modern options are either gas-fueled or electric powered, a wood-burning stove is still preferred by many users.
However, if you are still interested in knowing more, then we are here with a detailed buying guide related to wood burning stove. It consists of various factors and aspects related to wood-burning stoves that need to be considered before buying a wood stove. In other words, make sure to go through the following buying guide before buying a wood-burning stove:
1. Heat Output Rating
As a wood-burning stove is mainly used for heating up living spaces, their performance or heating rating is quite important to check. And just like various other heating appliances, you can also find the heat output of a wood-burning stove given in BTU or BTU/hour. For most wood-burning stoves, this heat output rating includes options like 60000 BTU/hour or 100000 BTU/hour that differs from model to model.
And when compared with each other, the latter rating of 100000 BTU/hour is the better one as it offers more heat output for quickly heating up your rooms to a pretty high temperature. Although, this heat output can be changed as per your wish by changing things like the number of wooden logs used, types of wooden logs, and various other factors that contributes to the heat output rating.
2. Supported Heating Area
Apart from the heating performance or heat output rating, the supported heating area of your wood-burning stove is also quite important. This simply tells you about the largest space or area your wood-burning stove can properly heat up. As you would expect from any area rating, the supported heating area of all wood-burning stoves is given in square feet.
While entry-level models have a heating area of around 1000 square feet, better and more powerful models might go up to 2000 square feet and even higher. You should choose a heating area according to your needs as while a house can use a stove with a lower rating, offices, and other industrial places will need a stove with a high heating area rating.
3. Compatible Wood Log Size
As you would expect by its name, a wood-burning stove uses wood and wooden logs inside it as a fuel. These wooden logs are burned to produce heat to make sure that your surroundings stay warm even during the winters. But for proper combustion and heat production, the wooden logs that you are using should fit inside your wood-burning stove.
Hence, all wood-burning stoves have a maximum compatible wood log size as the burning compartment has a limited size, and putting larger wooden logs inside it is not possible. Thankfully most wood-burning stoves have a similar wood log size compatibility that can take logs of 18 to 22 inches in length. And just in case that your wood-burning stove has a different supported length, you can cut your wood logs accordingly.
4. Ideal Fuel Type
Even though most of the wood-burning stoves out there use real wooden logs as a fuel, that is not the case with all stove models. Instead, they might have artificial looks inside for aesthetics. As for fuel, most of these models use gases for burning so that the stove can function properly and keep you warm.
This includes options like propane gas or natural gas, depending on the model that you buy. But since both work the same, you can choose either of these as per your wish. Talking about wood-burning stoves, most of them allow you to use any wood type of your choice. Different kinds of wooden logs offer different heat output and aroma in your room, which is something that you need to consider before buying a wood-burning stove.
5. Size and Form Factor
Before buying a wood-burning stove for indoor usage, you have to make sure that it fits inside your house perfectly in the spot where you want to use it. Hence, checking the size and form factor of a wood-burning stove is quite important. While some models have a tall chimney on top, others use the chimney of your house that is integrated into the wall.
Other than that, the burning area or stove itself should be compact and small so that it can easily fit into most fireplace areas without any issues. And if you are buying a wood-burning stove for outdoor usage, buying a small and compact option allows you to easily move it from one place to another if needed.
6. Durability and Reliability
Even though a wood-burning stove is quite a simple and straight forward heating appliance, it still needs to be durable and reliable enough if you want it to last for a long time. Hence, checking things like the build quality offered by your wood-burning stove is quite important. Any model that uses cast iron and steel should be highly sturdy that can last for a long time.
Other than that, you can also check the warranty offered by your wood-burning stove. Most of the wood-burning stove options out there come with a 1 year or a 2-year long warranty. But more durable and reliable options also offer a 3 year or even a 5-year long warranty for peace of mind. If you also want your wood-burning stove to last for a long time, you need to opt for an option with a long warranty and a great build quality.
You can find a wide range of home appliances that still use a traditional and old design but still offer great functionality. One such device is a wood-burning stove that can be a great pick to keep your surroundings warm during winters. Therefore, we have mentioned some of the best wood-burning stoves up above in this article.
Although, if you are still confused, then you can simply go with one of the following wood-burning stove recommendations:
- The Drolet wood stove is the most powerful option present in this article that offers a heat output rating of 110000 BTU/hour that is much higher than other options. You also get the highest heating area rating of 2700 square feet with it. Apart from being highly powerful, its 3-year long warranty also makes it one of the most reliable options out there.
- But if you want the most durable and reliable wood burning stove, the Pleasant Hearth wood burning stove can also be a great pick. It offers an excellent build quality to the user. Its heating capacity of 30000 BTU/hour is quite decent when combined with its heating area of 1000 square feet.
- You should go with the Guide Gear outdoor wood stove if you are on a budget. Even though it is not intended for indoor use, its lower price tag still makes it a great option for a lot of users. Despite being an outdoors model, you get a heating area rating of 800 square feet. As it is a budget wood burning stove, you get just a decent build quality.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!