Is your garden or backyard filled with fallen leaves, dry grass or other debris? Want to blow away those wet and dry leaves to clean up your yard. Then its time to invest in a Backpack Leaf Blower.
A backpack leaf blower has various incredible benefits which differentiate and makes it as a better option than any standard leaf blowers. It is easy to carry on your back. It uses a powerful motor to clear away the leaves and keep your yard in pristine condition. So, investing in this backpack blower will fit for all your needs. Consider these 3 main things to buy right this blower for your yard needs.
Air Flow / CFM Rating – Cubic Feet per Minute (CFM) will let you know how much air flows through the tube in a minute. The higher the air flow, the more power it uses to push the leaves off the yard.
- For small areas like patios, decks, and driveway, choose the blower with CFM that comes in between 200 – 400.
- For medium sized areas like an acre or more, then a blower with CFM in between 400 – 700 is perfect.
- For large properties like beyond 1.5 acres of land, go for a blower with CFM of more than 700.
Power Source – The backpack leaf blowers are powered either by gas or battery or electricity.
- For clearing mess in massive lawns, select a gas-powered machine.
- To clean mess in small front yard or porch, pick an electric powered blower.
Motor Power – The motor power will give a clear idea on the performance of the machine. For gas-powered engines, look for the options like 30 CC or 40 CC and for battery powered, look for power rating with 60 volts or 80 volts. So, choose the one with higher voltage or CC rating for better performance. Also, invest in the machine that has strong, durable and powerful motor but not a heavier one.
Apart from these 3 key factors, you have to consider various factors to demystify your selection process, which are clearly mentioned in the below “Buying Guide”. Also, we came-up with a list of some best – selling back pack leaf blowers in the market.
Scroll down to know all about backpack leaf blowers and select your best one, as per your requirements.
Best Backpack Leaf Blowers
Top Rated Backpack Leaf Blowers 2021
Husqvarna is one of the most popular and oldest brands of gas engine powered power tools. While it is mainly known for chainsaws and lawn mowers, you can also find leaf blower options from Husqvarna, including various backpack leaf blowers.
The Husqvarna 967144301 360BT backpack leaf blower is present in the 1st position in this article as it is a decently powerful yet highly reliable option out there. While it is a bit on the expensive side, you get a great build quality with this leaf blower. It also comes with up to a 5-year warranty if you go with the extended warranty program. As for its performance, it can offer a maximum airflow of up to 631 CFM that is more than enough for all users out there.
It can offer this much performance due to its 65.6 CC X-Torq engine that has 20 percent more efficiency along with 60 percent lower exhaust emissions. You get Air Purge technology with this engine that removes air from the carburetor so that you can quickly start this leaf blower. This leaf blower is also highly comfortable and ergonomic to use. It offers easy to reach advanced controls in this leaf blower. You can even adjust the blowing tube length if needed.
- 6 cc gas engine
- 81 HP engine power
- 631 CFM airflow rating
- 5-year warranty
- Weighs 23.2 pounds
- Adjustable blowing tube length
- Easy to reach controls
- Offset handle for ergonomics
- Backpack leaf blower
- User manual
- Warranty card
As per its name, Schroder Germany is a brand of power tools that is based in Germany. It is known to make heavy-duty power tools that can be quite useful for industrial applications.
Schroder Germany’s SR6400L industrial backpack leaf blower is present in the 2nd position in this article as it is the most powerful option present in this article. This is possible due to its highly efficient and refined 63.3 CC engine that can generate a power rating of up to 3.5 HP. Due to this, you get a high airflow rating of up to 920 CFM while using this leaf blower for cleaning leaves from your backyard. It can blow out air at high speed of 230 MPH, which is more than enough for most users out there.
Another great thing about this German leaf blower brand is that it offers a great build quality along with a 5-year long warranty with this backpack leaf blower. Due to this, it is quite sturdy and durable even though it weighs just 19.5 pounds. Since this leaf blower is quite compact and small, it is quite practical to use and very easy to store in your garage when not in use. You can easily reach the controls of this leaf blower for adjusting its speed and airflow.
- 3 cc gas engine
- 7 HP engine power
- 920 CFM airflow rating
- 230 MPH airspeed
- 5-year warranty
- Small and compact
- Easy to reach controls
- Great build quality
- Backpack leaf blower
- User manual
- Warranty card
Ego is a brand of power tools that is mainly known to make electric options of all kinds. You can also find a backpack leaf blower offering from Ego that offers a highly efficient motor that is also reliable and powerful
As per its name, the Ego electric backpack leaf blower offers a 56-volt battery system that is decently powerful. It is able to generate an airflow rating of up to 600 CFM that is quite high when compared with other electric options. You also get a decent airspeed of 145 MPH in this leaf blower that allows you to quickly and easily get rid of all leaves from your backyard. It supports 7.5 Ah batteries that offer a great battery life while using this leaf blower.
One of the best things about this leaf blower is that it offers a great build quality. It has a weather-resistant construction that protects from rain. You also get a 5-year long warranty with this leaf blower that makes it quite reliable. This leaf blower also offers other useful features to the user, including an adjustable tube length and a highly comfortable harness for using this leaf blower as a backpack. Its controls are also quite simple and easy to use for operating this leaf blower.
- 56-volt electric motor
- 5 Ah batteries
- 81 HP engine power
- 631 CFM rating
- 5-year warranty
- Decent battery life
- Comfortable and ergonomic harness
- Weather-resistant construction
- Efficient and reliable electric motor
- Backpack leaf blower
- User manual
- Warranty card
Poulan is a brand of power tools that has various products with a high user rating. You can also find garden tools and equipment by Poulan, including a backpack leaf blower that is powered by a gas engine.
This Poulan Pro PR48BT backpack leaf blower is powered by a 2 cycle gas engine that has a capacity of 48 CC. This engine can produce decent power with an airflow rating of 475 CFM. You also get an airspeed of 200 MPH that allows the user to clean a backyard easily. A great thing about this leaf blower is that it comes with a variable speed throttle control. This variable speed throttle also offers cruise control ability that is always useful to have.
Even though this leaf blower is powered by a gas engine, it has a small and compact size. You also get comfortable and adjustable shoulder straps in this backpack leaf blower. These straps can be used to easily adjust this leaf blower according to your needs and requirements. While the build quality offered by this lawn mower is quite great, you only get a 2-year warranty with it, which might be an issue for some users out there.
- 48 cc gas engine
- 475 CFM airflow rating
- 200 MPH airspeed rating
- 2-year warranty
- Cruise control system
- Variable speed throttle decent build quality
- Comfortable and adjustable shoulder straps
- Backpack leaf blower
- User manual
- Warranty card
Just per the name of this brand, Greenworks makes green and eco-friendly electric power tools. It is mainly known for making garden tools and equipment, including options like backpack leaf blowers.
The Greenworks BPB80L000 backpack leaf blower is the cheapest option present in this article. And even then, this electric and battery-powered leaf blower can offer a lot of things to its users. You get a highly powerful 80-volt battery system in this leaf blower. It generates a high airflow rating of 580 CFM that is comparable to gas-powered options out there.
It also offers a decent airspeed rating of 145 MPH that can be quite handy while sweeping leaves from your sidewalk, driveway, backyard, or deck.
While this backpack leaf blower does not come included with batteries and charger, it still offers an excellent value for money. This is due to the reason that you get a great build quality along with a 4-year long warranty with this leaf blower. Its highly efficient motor supports up to a 2.5 Ah battery that offers average battery life. You can also find other useful features in this leaf blower, including a variable speed throttle that comes with the support for a cruise control system.
- 80-volt electric engine
- 5 Ah batteries supported
- 580 CFM rating
- Airspeed rating of 145 MPH
- 4-year warranty
- Silent and reliable brushless motors
- Cruise control functionality
- Support for rapid charging
- Backpack leaf blower
- User manual
- Warranty card
How to Choose a Backpack Leaf Blower:
A leaf blower is a gardening tool used to remove the leaves, grass cuttings and other debris in your garden or around your home. A backpack leaf blower is ergonomically designed for prolonged use rather than traditional handheld leaf blower.
However, there are different backpack leaf blowers with various features and styles available in the market. You should know how to choose the best and most suited one. So, to help you in precise buying decision, we came up with a few key factors to consider while purchasing the backpack leaf blower for garden or yard.
1. Power Source:
In general, we find leaf blowers working with power source of either electric or gas-powered. Each of this type has their own pros and cons. Have a closer look to know about these power sources.
Electric Backpack Leaf Blowers:
- An electric backpack leaf blower is a perfect option for sweeping debris and leaves from your lawn, driveway, porch, patio and deck.
- It is powered by an electric motor and it is easy to start.
- It is lightweight, requires less maintenance and works quieter than gas powered leaf blower.
- This corded version will allow you to work with an outlet. But blower won’t drive midway through the project, even though it has some limitations.
- The cordless options will let you work in any place with a high voltage battery without any limitations but requires periodic charging.
- The only drawback of this electric backpack is that it suits best to work in small sized land like 1 – 2 acres of land.
Gas Powered Backpack Leaf Blowers:
- This backpack leaf blower will run on gasoline and this provide brute force and more power to clear the debris and leaves effectively than electric powered one.
- It is perfectly suited to work in large properties and tough jobs. Also, it is efficient to run for a longer time and more frequently.
- It is operated with a manual pull start, which makes it not easy to operate, especially, for those who has less body strength.
- It is not easy to maintain this gas-powered leaf blower to keep it in perfect working condition.
- A few monthly maintenances should be done like regular clean-up of blower’s fan blades and carburetor, examine spark plug and replace it with fresh one regularly, flush out the old fuel from the gas tank, check out the fuel line, filter, connections and cables and repair them, if needed.
2. Air Flow / CFM Rating:
The volume of air that produced by a leaf blower in a minute is measured in terms of cubic feet per minute (CFM). The higher the CFM rating, the more powerfully it pushes out the leaves from the garden. The reason is that blower with high CFM have wider nozzles and thereby blow out large volume of air.
You generally see options like 500 CFM or 600 CFM while purchasing this backpack leaf blower. For best performance, choose a backpack leaf blower with higher airflow rating of 600 CFM. Also, a few leaf blower models allow you to change the airflow by using a variable speed trigger option.
3. Air Speed / MPH Rating:
The speed at which air is expelled from the leaf blower is measured in terms of miles per hour (MPH). This rating indicates how powerfully the blower cleans the area in less time. Generally, we find airspeed ratings as 150 MPH or 200 MPH while buying a backpack leaf blower. Pick the blower that comes with a 200 MPH rating to grab better performance. Also, one can easily adjust the airspeed of their leaf blower by using a variable speed trigger.
4. Motor Power:
Irrespective of power source, the leaf blower should be powerful enough, and ensure that you can easily and quickly clean leaves from the backyard. You can find the power rating of gas-powered leaf blowers mentioned in either CC or HP. This includes gas engine options with a capacity of 40 CC or 50 CC and engine power ratings of 2 HP or 3 HP, in which the higher rating of 50 CC and 3 HP will offer the better performance to the user.
Similarly, we can find battery voltage rating of an electric backpack leaf blower, in which a higher voltage will result in better performance. So, an 80-volt battery will perform well than a 60-volt battery for most models out there.
5. Engine & Battery Type:
The gas backpack leaf blower comes in two varieties of engine – 2-stroke and 4-stroke engines. Its power is measured in CC unit. The 4-stroke engine variant is most dominant engine power and excellent fuel efficient than 2-stroke model. Also, 4-stroke engine is larger, powerful, heavier, efficient, and costly than 2-stroke engines. We recommend 4-stroke powerful engine for commercial blowers and for home usage, a 2-stroke engine will suit best for your purpose.
While coming to cordless models of leaf blowers, it uses either lithium ion (OR) nickel cadmium battery, in which the lithium-ion battery is lightweight and smaller, whereas the nickel cadmium battery of same voltage is larger. Lithium ion battery tends to hold the charge for a longer time but it is expensive than nickel-cadmium models.
In general, the noise rating of the leaf blower is measured in decibels (db.), in which higher decibels means noisier. So, always check the decibel rating before acquiring a leaf blower. For best results, look for a blower that comes with less than 65 db.
Generally, gas powered blowers will produce much louder sound than electric counterparts. Also, the engine with lower CC will tend to produce more noise when compared with higher CC engines. So, select the one that operates at an appropriate level of sound.
7. Battery Size / Tank:
Regardless of power source models, you should check whether the gas tank or battery is big enough to handle the whole job. Rather than filling the tank with fuel every time by removing and wearing the backpack blower, which increases downtime and make you tired quickly. You can simply pick a backpack leaf blower with bigger tank for fuel to perform your operation at once without any break.
Also, prefer to purchase the blower that has see-through fuel tank which let you know the fuel level in the tank. While coming to electric cordless battery models, recharge the battery completely before starting the work or else you have to fix a second battery to make your work done continuously without any break.
Its not like having machine on your back, won’t let you think about weight. Although, it allows you not to get strained easily unlike handheld leaf blowers, but you have to consider its weight. A few models are heavy (especially gas-powered) and make you feel uncomfortable even with padded straps. Also, height plays a key role in choosing the weight of the blower.
One should check the machine’s weight to get a clear idea on how comfortably they operate by bearing its weight for a longer time (how much time they operate). Most of the products comes within the range of 10 – 30 pounds of weight, where the electric powered are lighter than gas powered models.
9. Variable Speed:
Want to blow off dry leaves without harming any delicate plants in your garden, then this variable speed option will work best and won’t allow you to damage any plant. Simply, it gives control over air flow while cleaning the yard. So, it’s best to select the backpack leaf blower that comes with a variable speed trigger to set the speed as per your need.
10. Anti-vibration Harness:
We generally wear this leaf blower on the back to use it perfectly. This means the engine is much closer to the body and will receive all the vibrations made by the engine while working. It will harm your back and shoulders in the longer run. So, pick the backpack leaf blower which comes with anti-vibration harness to reduce vibrations and make you feel comfortably while operating it.
11. Cruise Control:
It works like cruise control in the car. When once you reached the desired speed to blow off the leaves then simply turn on this cruise control feature. This allows the engine to stay at that speed and operate without having to hold the throttle till you complete the operation.
12. Ergonomics – Strap Design & Balance:
It’s always good to choose the blower with some ergonomic features. Why because, these features will allow you to work comfortably and thereby maximizes the capabilities and output. Here are a few listed to check before purchasing.
- Check whether the shoulder straps and hip belts are well padded.
- Torso length is adjustable or not, as the adjustable one will reduce the stress and fatigue while operating.
- To distribute the weight of blower across the shoulder, you should get a harness with wide shoulder straps.
- A few shoulder straps are specially designed to receive air and proper ventilation to prevent the build up of sweat and moisture while using this backpack blower.
- Thin shoulder strap will concentrate on the weight of the blower in a particular part and thereby results in causing pain and discomfort on that shoulder part after using it for some time.
Generally, we find leaf blower nozzles in either round or flat in many models. Rounded nozzles suit best for blowing large clumps, whereas the flat one is good for sweeping and blowing motions. A few high-end models come with interchangeable nozzles, which allows the user to switch from one to another, depending on the nature of the task.
Generally, the gas filled backpack leaf blower will emit dangerous fumes while operating. So, opt for an eco-friendly model and wear mask to protect yourself and thereby environment. Modern leaf blower models have pollution control features that compliant with basic regional standards. For best results, purchase a 4-stroke engine, which is environment friendly yet costlier.
15. Control System:
An efficient control system will help to increase the speed of operation. Throttle control will allow you to work smoothly and efficiently. Also, one has to check the possibility to move the blower in different blowing situations. So, buy a model that provides ergonomic, simple and easy to use controls while operating.
16. Air Filtration System:
Whether the model with a vacuum suction feature or self-purging, no one want their leaf blower choking up in dusty condition. So, it’s essential to have air filters in the blower.
The backpack blowers with at least two filters will make it work best. Also, check their size and capacity after reviewing the number of filters. The more ample they are, then you will get more blowing time. Make sure to clean it up and maintain them properly after each use for its longevity.
Most of the experts won’t recommend usage of vacuum models, why because they limit your functionality, especially, the containment space which is not enough for leaves, debris and other muck which they pick up and thus you spend most of the day emptying the dust catcher.
17. Start – Up:
Before placing this leaf blower on the back, you have to start up the engine. It will be more annoying if the engine take time to start, this happens especially in gas powered engines. If you’re using gas backpack model and it is not getting started after 2 – 3 pulls of the start cord then it means there is something went wrong. So, resolve them to make it start quickly. If using an electric model then simply switch on the power outlet (checking charging for battery type) and then turn on the motor to start up the blower.
18. Ease of Maintenance:
The different types of leaf blowers require different levels of maintenance. The gas-powered blowers require more maintenance whereas the battery powered requires little to no maintenance.
For gas powered blowers, you should use premixed fuel specified by the manufacturer to make the engine keep running in perfect condition. It should also satisfy the warranty conditions that you have to use their premixed fuel to get their standard warranty. Although, this premixed fuel won’t come cheaply but it makes the blower to run easily.
Different leaf blower models offer different periods of warranty to its users. So, check the warranty of this leaf blower power tool is quite useful while facing any issue with this blower. A few models come with 2-year warranty while other offers 5-year long warranty. As you would expect, the leaf blower with 5-year warranty is considered to be the best option. Similarly, lookout for the build quality offered by the selected piece. The leaf blowers will use durable material for its construction and also provide weatherproof construction that makes it last easily for a long time.
How to use a Backpack Leaf Blower?
Always, ensure that you’re using this leaf blower in a right way, to keep it in a perfect working condition. For this, you have to keep a routine list of things to treat it consistently with each use. Here are a few guidelines which you have to follow for its proper usage.
- Check to know how to fuel the blower’s tank. For most of the models, we use 50:1 oil and gas solution. Make sure to check the instructions recommended by the manufacturer. Also, you need to determine the type of oil you’re using and a 2-cycle oil is mostly required for various models.
- The only exception for this rule is to find a machine that runs with 4 cycle engine or one with an electric powered device. In case, if using 4-cycle engine then you need a regular gas (although, it won’t require any gas unless and until it specified). For an electric powered, you require a battery charge or direct electric power source.
- Always, make sure to check whether the leaf blower is charged fully or filled with gas before you start using this leaf blower. Then head out your blower into the yard to remove all the dried leaves and debris from that place.
- In case if there is a breeze, then simply determine the way wind is blowing and start working in that direction to complete your task easily, efficiently and quickly.
How to start a Backpack Leaf Blower?
Here is a detailed process that let you know how to start (used for most models) and use this blower effectively.
- Place the device on a flat ground to start the machine and check that the air vents are clean and clear from dirt and other debris.
- Then find the stop switch near the throttle handle and move it to switch on position to start it.
- Place the setting lever on the starting position by adjusting the choke knob, depending on the engine (cold starting /already warm).
- If the engine is cold then you have to turn the choke knob to right (OR) if the engine is already warm then turn the choke knob to left.
- After adjusting the knobs and levers properly then start the engine by pulling the starter cord.
- Make sure to pull the cord slowly until you feel it tighten and engage and then pull fast and hard on the cord.
- Although, it may take several times but be patient and allow the cord to start slowly. When the engine starts, you have to run it for a few minutes.
- You may feel warm when you pick up this backpack leaf blower and place it on the back. When once adjusted the machine and start doing your work.
What is bare tool only backpack leaf blower?
If you find the words like “Bare Tool Only” when choosing the new models of leaf blower. Simply it means the tool won’t come with a battery. The user has to purchase the battery and charger separately. For best results or maximize the outdoor arsenal, select the tools which utilizes the same battery and charger.
Benefits of Backpack Leaf Blower:
Have a look on the benefits of backpack leaf blowers before purchasing it.
- Ergonomics – The modern models come with shoulder straps that allows you to adjust to various degrees as per your comfort levels to complete the task effectively.
- Style & Technology – Backpack blowers available in various options like electric corded, gas and cordless battery. So, pick the energy efficient one along with the style that suits best in your budget range. Cordless is best without any tangled-up cord and works silently.
- Power – Most of the top end models deliver more power along with flexibility. If you want to use this blower from gentle clean to full power blast, choose the one with powerful motor to make your work less difficult than other models.
- Saves Time & Money – This leaf blower will blow away the dirt, dried leaves along with light snow, sand, and other dry clutter which find their way into the yard. Some are more powerful, as they even remove the wet junk easily from the yard. All these can be done by buying a powerful leaf blower.
Safety Tips while using Backpack Leaf Blower:
You should take a few safety precautions while using this leaf blower to safeguard the ears, eyes, arms and legs. Also, to ensure you will able to work continuously without negative health repercussions.
- Wear a pair of safety googles to protect your eyes from any blowback getting into your eyes or causing injuries.
- Wear a pair of earplugs to safeguard your ears from the sound level emitted by a blower, as high sounds will damage the hearing.
- Also, make sure to cover all the arms and legs while using this leaf blower to ensure that your arms and legs are safe from dust and debris effectively.
- Make sure to operate this blower within courteous times not to disturb your neighbors. Working too late in the night is not recommended, this will ensure to cause minimal disruption to your daily routines.
You can wear a backpack leaf blower on your back for getting rid of all leaves from your backyard quite easily. These are highly powerful and come in all kinds of configurations. And, we have mentioned some of the best backpack leaf blower options in this article along with all of their essential details. You can even find a vast buying guide for the best backpack leaf blower in this article. It has all of the things related to such leaf blowers that you might want to know before buying one. But since some of you will still have doubts regarding these leaf blowers, we are here with some of our recommendations:
- Those of you who are on a budget can simply go with the Greenworks BPB80L00 backpack leaf blower. Even though it is the cheapest option present in this article, you get an 80-volt battery system. It can generate an airflow of up to 580 CFM along with a decent airspeed of 145 MPH. This allows you to easily and quickly get rid of all leaves using this comparatively silent leaf blower. You get a great build quality along with a 4-year warranty in this budget backpack leaf blower option.
- Although, if you are looking for a highly powerful backpack leaf blower, then the Schroder Germany SR-6400L option can be a great pick. It offers a high airflow rating of 920 CFM that is much higher than most other options out there. This is possible due to its 63.3 CC gas engine that generates 3.7 HP of power. You get a high airspeed of 230 MPH in this leaf blower that is also great to have. Even though it is a gas engine powered leaf blower, you get a 5-year warranty with it that makes it highly reliable and durable.
- The Ego Power LB6000 can be another excellent backpack leaf blower option if you want a highly reliable option. Just like the previous Schroder Germany leaf blower, this one also comes with a 5-year warranty. But as it is an electric motor, it is much quieter than a gas engine. It is powered by a 56-volt battery that is quite decent and offers an airflow rating of 600 CFM. You also get an airspeed of up to 145 MPH while using this leaf blower for cleaning your backyard, sidewalk, driveway, or deck.
Hope you came to know what factors to consider and how to choose the best backpack leaf blower. Which one you’re going to pick in this 2021? Let’s us know if you have any queries or share your experience with us in the below comments box.