30 gallon air compressor is adequate enough for handling both residential and commercial tasks. They provide compressed air that can power up a variety of tools like paint sprayers, rock drills, atomizers, nail guns, wrenches and several others.
While deciding which 30 gallon air compressor is suitable, it can be overwhelming with so many options. however, you can simply this process by considering some key specifications…
- Air Flow Rate – It represents how much air can be pumped in a minute by the compressor. It is usually measured in CFM (cubic feet per minute). Just like any other tool, higher the rating, better will be the efficiency.
- Maximum Air Pressure (PSI) – It determines the amount of air present in the compressor. Single stage models have 125 to 155 psi while two-stage models have 165 to 175 psi. You have to choose based on your requirements.
For other considerations, check out our Buying Guide. It lets you choose the best option wisely.
We have also listed Best 30 Gallon Air Compressors after carefully analyzing and testing several models present in the market.
Best 30 Gallon Air Compressors
Best 30 Gallon Air Compressors: Reviews 2021
Industrial Air offers various air compressor options that are known to be highly reliable. And today we are here with one of the most popular 30-gallon belt driven air compressor from Industrial Air.
This 30-gallon air compressor from Industrial Air is in the 1st position in this article as it offers cast iron construction. As a result, this air compressor provides you with durability and along with a 2-year warranty. Other than that, it is pre-equipped with pneumatic wheels that further promise you the portability option. It offers a CFM rating of 5.7 and a maximum pressure of 155 PSI which is expected from a reliable option like this one.
Moreover, to maintain an environment of operation that is trouble-free, this air compressor offers an induction motor with dual voltage. This induction motor further takes care of excellent pump performance. For further ease in the operation, they ensure that every unit they ship contains synthetic air compressor oil. Moreover, the only drawback that this air compressor comes with is that it’s noisy when in use.
- Twin-cylinder and cast-iron oil-lubricated pump
- Offers reliable airflow
- Max pressure: 155 PSI that helps in providing optimum tool performance
- 2-year warranty
- Quick-set regulator
- UL and CSA certified
- Durable and compact design
- A portable ASME 30-gallon vertical tank, which has pneumatic tires pre-attached
- Induction motor with heavy-duty dual-voltage, i.e., 120V outlet or 240V outlet
- Comes with a tank, on/off switch, working pressure gauges, and a quick-set regulator
Campbell Hausfeld is another excellent option out there if you are looking for reliable air compressors. And this 30 gallon portable Air Compressor comes equipped with a XC302100 compressor that offers great performance.
This Portable Air Compressor comes with a vertical design, which offers a CFM rating of 4.1 along with a maximum pressure rating of 175 PSI. This is possible due to the use of a motor with a dual voltage which can perform at 120V and 240V depending upon if it’s needed for the business purposes or residences. Even though this is a powerful option, it offers silent operation most of the time which makes it a great option for home-usage.
Also, because of the availability of the huge semi-pneumatic wheels, the Campbell Hausfeld could be taken to different places easily. This air compressor also offers multiple supported accessories that can be bought to make this air compressor more functional for the user. Coming to its durability, it’s made of long-lasting cast-iron, which offers heavy-duty and oil-lubricated two-cylinder pump.
- Offer you with better power as well as output
- Offers noise-free and quiet operation
- Made of durable material
- Twin-cylinder and cast-iron oil-lubricated pump
- Offers reliable usability
- Maximum PSI, i.e., 175.
- Semi-pneumatic wheels for portability
- A portable 30-gallon vertical tank for difficult operations.
- Induction motor with heavy-duty dual-voltage, i.e., 120V outlet or 240V outlet
- 3-in-1 inflation gun
- Gauge (MP600000AV)
The air compressor comes with a portable vertical tank with attached pneumatic tires that allow you to move the compressor effortlessly. It can handle a maximum pressure of 155 PSI. Also, you get 7.0 CFM at 40 psi and 5.7 CFM at 90 psi with 1.9 RHP. On top of this, the high flow regulator provides 20% more torque.
The air compressor uses a dual voltage motor that is compatible with the standard 120V power outlet. If you want to increase the output power, you can also connect it to a 240V application. The compressor has a V-twin cast iron pump that makes it very durable. The portable air compressor comes with synthetic oil to ensure long working without any trouble.
The twin-cylinder pump has an aluminum head and valve plate that helps in quick heat dissipation and prevents heat build. The air compressor unit has a 2 years warranty on the pump and a 1-year warranty on all other parts from the date of purchase.
- Offers maximum air pressure of 155 PSI
- 7.0 CFM at 40 psi and 5.7 CFM at 90 psi
- Pneumatic tires ensure maximum portability
- Regulator provides 20% more torque
- Made of durable cast iron
- Dissipates heat quickly
- 2 years warranty on pump and 1-year warranty on parts
- Portable 30-gallon vertical tank
- Heavy-duty dual-voltage induction motor
- High flow regulator
- Synthetic oil for lubrication
NorthStar offers one of the most premium and high-end air compressor options. And the the option mentioned in this article uses Innovative Low Vibration Technology for a smooth operation of this high power air compressor.
This NorthStar 389cc is equipped with a Horizontal Gas-Powered Air Compressor. It comes with a 30-Gallon of capacity, which lets you work without stopping or breaking down in between. Powered by Honda OHV gasoline engine, the NorthStar Portable horizontal air compressor comes equipped with a heavy-duty belt-driven complete cast iron pump.
This 30-gallon air compressor uses a 389cc Honda OHV gasoline engine which means that you can use it even without electricity. The highly powerful Honda GX390 OHV engine of this air compressor uses a V style cylinder design for high performance. It can offer an airflow rating of 24.4 CFM @ 90 PSI which is more than enough for most applications.
You can also install an optional battery in this air compressor, which charges via its Honda engine. As a result, you can use this air compressor even if the engine runs out of fuel. This air compressor uses an FC35 grade cast iron construction which offers a maximum pressure rating of 175 PSI.
- Honda GX390 OHV engine with low oil shutdown and electric start/recoil backup
- 3 Amp battery charging circuit (excluding battery)
- Offer a pump that is made of cast iron to ensure a longer service life
- V-style cylinder to ensure superior cooling
- Floating-type Swedish steel valves for a longer valve life
- Low Vibration Technology (LVT) for smoother, longer and better operation
- Allows 24.4 CFM, i.e., cubic feet per minute @ 90 PSI
- 175 maximum PSI
- Pump runs at 1,300 RPM
- Larger flywheel allow cooler operation
- Step-type piston rings for better compression
- Equipped with a 30-gallon horizontal tank, which is ASME-certified
- Crank journals that are changeable and needle bearings
- Offers a Liquid-filled pressure gauge
- The sight glass to check the oil level
- Comes with a heavy flywheel made of cast iron to provide additional momentum
- Offer a durable steel belt guard
Coming to the last option in this article, we have another air compressor from Industrial Air. But it is the cheapest air compressor present in this article which still manages to offer great performance for the given money.
It uses an oil-lubricated pump of 1.9 HP power that runs on dual voltage so that you can use it with a 120 V or 240 V socket. And even though this pump offers decent performance, it has mostly a noise-free operation. And since this Industrial air ILA 1683066 is from a reputable brand, you can expect decent durability period, longevity, and reliability from this 30-gallon air compressor.
This vertical air compressor weighs just 154 pounds, which allows for easy portability as it comes with pneumatic wheels. You also get a warranty of 2 years with this air compressor that has an airflow rating of 5.3 CFM at 90 PSI or 6.2 CFM at 40 PSI. It also offers a maximum pressure rating of 155 PSI which is pretty good for its given price.
- Two-cylinder and cast-iron the heavy-duty pump
- Offers reliable airflow, i.e., 5.3 CFM at 90 PSI or 6.2 CFM at 40 PSI
- Max pressure: 155 PSI that helps in providing excellent performance
- 2-year warranty
- 154 pounds in weight and hence, light and easy to move.
- Vertical Portability
- User-friendly and highly durable unit design
- Reliability of power
- A portable ASME 30-gallon vertical tank, which has pneumatic tires pre-attached
- Includes an induction motor with heavy-duty dual-voltage, i.e., 120V outlet or 240V outlet
- Equipped with a tank, easy-to-use on/off switch, working pressure gauges, and a quick-connect regulator
- Two-cylinder and cast-iron the heavy-duty pump
- Shipping includes synthetic oil
How To Choose The Best 30 Gallon Air Compressor?
There are several things you have to consider while purchasing a 30 gallon air compressor. We have mentioned them clearly below for your reference. Read them thoroughly as they help you analyze the products and choose wisely.
1. Air Compressor Type
There are two types of air compressors – single stage and two stage models. Handling air inside air compressor is similar in these two types. However, the process of compressing air insider cylinder is different.
In a single stage air compressor, air is compressed and trapped in a single stroke. And the air is stored insider the tank. However, in the two stage one the air will go through another stroke before storing into a second piston.
When compared to single-stage compressors, two stage models are much powerful because of the number of times air is processed. However, this doesn’t mean two-stage model is the best choice for construction needs. If your pneumatic tools have only small amount of power, then single stage air compressor is suitable enough.
Two stage compressors can compress air to higher pressure (PSI) compared to single stage compressors. They can store more air without generating high heat, reducing wear and increasing the compressor life. Two stage models are suitable for continuous use in commercial shops and powering multiple tools at once.
2. Power Source
Air compressors are available in two power source models – electric and gas powered.
- Gas powered ones rely on gasoline as their main power source. Once you fill up the gas tank, it will automatically power up the air compressor. This option is more suitable for working in secluded sites that have less electrical sources. With this model, you don’t have to look out for power sources in the work site. They are suggested to use outdoors as the fuel combustion can release toxic fumes which can harmful if inhaled for long time.
- Electric air compressors have to be plugged into electrical outlet. They continuous power supply to run properly. If the site has usable outlets around, then you can complete the task pretty quickly. They are light in weight as it doesn’t have tank holding fuel. However, they are powerful to complete the tasks. They are convenient and cost less (initial investment and maintenance).
Based on the type of air compressor, you have to choose which power type is suitable.
3. Airflow Amount
It represents how quick the air compressor can fill up the tank and supply the air. It is usually represented in CFM (cubic feet per minute). If you use a tool take air faster than the compressor can provide then it has stop in the middle of work and wait till the compressor can catch up – this can be frustrating.
Pneumatic tools have different levels of air flow rate to run properly – this is duly represented as average CFM rate. If you are going to use tools on continuous basis with average CFM rating. Then you should multiply the average number by 4 to get the right requirement of suitable continuous CFM. If you have more than one air supply line, then you should consider maximum CFM rating of all tools that you have to use at a time.
In order to calculate the CFM total requirement of all the tools you will be using, you have to add their average CFM rating and multiply them with 1.5 buffer limit (to prevent overheating of motor). And with that, you will have the average CFM you have to look for.
Below, is table representing the average CFM rating of some pneumatic tools.
|Tool||Average CFM Requirement|
|Angle Disc Grinder (7 inches)||5 – 8|
|Shears||8 – 16|
|Chisel||3 – 11|
|Rotational Sander||8 – 12.6|
|Cut-off Tool||4 – 10|
|Ratchet||4.5 – 5|
|Drill or Straight Line||3 – 6|
|Orbital Sander||6 – 9|
|Dual Sander||11 – 13|
|Needle Scaler||8 – 16|
|Impact Wrench||2.5 – 5|
|Mini Die Grinder||4 – 6|
Horsepower doesn’t directly impact the performance the compressor or air delivery. However, it is an important factor to consider while purchasing a 30 gallon air compressor. Because the size of 30 gallon is relatively big and surely takes a lot of time to fill up the tank with compressed air. For some models, this can go up to 10 minutes of time. Higher horsepower rating means, it will be quicker to fill up the tank.
30 gallon compressor models have horse power range from 1.5 to 3.5 HP. For single stage air compressors, 1 to 14 HP is good enough. But for two stage air compressors, 1 to 18 HP is suitable enough.
PSI is one of the factors that let you decide which one is suitable – single stage or two stage. Two stage models have higher PSI than single-stage air compressors. To find out what PSI is required for your requirements – check the air tool specifications.
If the highest rated air tool you use is a blow gun with 2.5 CFM at 90 PSI, then you should go for a model with a minimum of 90PSI rating. Maximum PSI for single stage air compressor is 125 to 155 PSI and for two stage air compressors is 125 to 175 PSI
6. Size and Shape of Air Compressor
This aspect involves how conveniently you can store or move the air compressor from one place to another. Based on your preferences and floor space, you can either for a horizontal or vertical air compressor. Difference between these two models is the amount of space it occupies.
When power is taken into consideration, there isn’t much difference between them. You should consider transportability and storage into consideration while analyzing this factor.
Vertical air compressors are easy to store and take less storage space than horizontal ones. Because of the wheel design, they are easy to transport. The horizontal ones can be hidden under the desks or worktables, letting you save more space. Because of their bulky size, they are hard to transport. So, choose your needs carefully.
Just like any other tool, air compressors also make noise. Machines that produce noise while operations are running are irritating as hell. Moreover, the noise completely shuts or interrupts a workplace environment to a high-level.
And hence, ensure that you consider opting for the one that allows quiet operations in the long run i.e. below 70 decibels. Checking the noise levels of your air compressor becomes even more important if you want to use it at your home. An electric air compressor is usually quieter than a gas-powered one as the gas engine itself makes more noise.
8. Oil or Oil-free Tanks
As their name implies, one model needs oiling regularly and other doesn’t require lubrication at all. Oil free air compressors have engine that have sealed oil compartment. To maintain the oil clean, an internal filter is provided. And the engine components are also coated with Teflon which reduces friction and lets the machine go for a long time without the necessity of lubrication. But this also means that, once Teflon coating is worn off, the air compressor will wear off quickly.
Oil-free engines come with universal motor design which doesn’t last as long as induction motor which require lubrication on a regular basis. If you live in locality without any extreme temperatures, then oil-free compressor is suitable. They can last for at least decade without any maintenance or oil changes. Choosing between them depends on your preference.
|Benefits of Oil-Free Tanks||Benefits of Oil Tanks|
|Less or no maintenance||Durable|
|More adaptability||More power|
|Less noise||Big task capacity|
|Lower running costs||–|
9. Voltage Capacity
Instead of choosing a model with single voltage motor, we recommend to go for dual voltage option. This means that, you can operate the air compressor at 120V in your home (which is usually the available voltage). But if you want to complete the heavy task, then you can easily switch to 240V.
240V will help save significantly as they draw less power. But you have to get them installed in your home or workshop. Because all the electrical outlets provide only 120V.
Well, some may think that why to take so much stress of installing 240V outlets. The answer is – increased voltage will reduce the stress on the machine for starting up. Low voltage will strain the engine while starting and also takes a bit longer to start.
Drawback of 240V machine is that it requires special outlet. If you don’t have any experience an electrician, then it can be very dangerous to install on for yourself.
10. Pneumatic Instruments
Air compressors are important equipment to ensure your pneumatic instruments run or work smoothly by compressing air. And hence, the strength of a compressor is highly needed to support the power needs of the instruments. You also need to make sure that your air compressor supports and offers compatibility with the pneumatic tools you wish to use.
Do you require a portable air compressor? Well, you must ensure what type you would invest in depending upon the locations you think you will use the air compressor in. If you need one which is easy to transport or move, a gas-powered air compressor is all that would work for you. There are other factors like the weight of the air compressor, which makes it more portable. And if your lightweight air compressor has wheels, then it makes portable use even easier. Gas-powered compressors are suitable using in remote areas where electricity is not available properly.
12. Other Factors to Consider
- Belt drive compressor provides great flexibility for adjusting the pressure and air flow as required. They are also less pricey, easy to install and maintain than direct drive compressor. It also has the ability to operate at lower temperatures.
- Low oil shutdown feature prevents costly repairs and downtime that are often caused due to low oil levels.
- Compared to in-line cylinders, V-design cylinders don’t lead to overheated engine.
- Air cooling systems will cool down the pumping machinery which extends the motor life.
- Some compressors come with thermal overload switch which will automatically shut-off the machine when gets overheated. It increases the tool life, thus saving your investment.
- ASME Certification is provided for compressors made using high quality materials and craftsmanship.
- Roll cage protects the compressor from getting battered on the job site.
To purchase a reliable 30 gallon air compressor, warranty plays an important role. Some of the top brands providing quality air compressors are Dewalt, Campbell Hausfeld, Ingersoll Rand, Industrial Air and Quincy. Some brands offer 3 years warranty while others provide even more. Double check the warranty details carefully as some brands provide limitations to warranty to particular things.
Gas powered air compressors are more expensive than electrical models. The price of 30 gallon air compressor depends on variety of factors like design, features and type. Single stage models can cost around $500 to $1800. While two-stage models can range from $1000 to $3000.
Advantages of Using a 30 Gallon Air Compressor
- Powerful Motors and Pumps – Compared to smaller capacity air compressors, 30 gallon models have better performing motors and pumps. Actually, a 30 gallon compressor can supply 5 CFM at 90Psi which enables you to run even powerful tools for short amount of time.
- Portable and Compact – 30 gallon air compressors are neither too small for handling professional jobs nor too big to cause any inconvenience. They usually weigh around190 pounds which can easily be moved from one place to another without any discomfort. Because of the smaller sizes, they are also easy to store as well.
- Value for Investment – 30 gallon air compressors may not be big enough to handle all industrial tasks but you can handle certain tasks at a cheaper rate. For example, with this machine you can handle tasks like inflating, spray painting and other average jobs at lower price model than 80 gallon machine. This makes 30 gallon option much ideal for average workshop owners who require an adequate enough machine on a restricted budget.
- Noise-Free and Smooth Operation – 30 gallon air compressors have enough power to handle professional and certain commercial air tools at workplaces. So, it is not required to work harder for using a nail gun or spray painting compared to 10 gallon air compressor.
- Designed for Longevity – 30 gallon air compressors have pumps and cylinders that are specially designed to survive for at least 30 years. Some top end models have strong cast iron tanks with wheels that ensure you can reply on it for a long time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Most of the people who rely on portable models are homeowners that handle projects like rotating tires, inflating, using nail guns, auto maintenance and impact wrenches. However, they can also be used for some commercial uses like air compressor type.
If you want to use the 30 gallon air compressor for commercial purpose, you may not use it for a complete day but it can provide few hours of continuous usage. Though they deliver as much power as you can, the tank capacity is not that high.
Even 20 or 30 gallon air compressor can be used in commercial shops as they can handle a range of tasks. Some tasks may not require a large option but you still need a powerful option than portable options.
Air compressors with lubrication option need to be maintained for proper working. And the main part of maintenance is to drain the oil tank without any issues. Every manufacturer has different strategies for this process. You have to read the instruction manual carefully to know the exact process. Several online videos also exist that explain this process. We have also provided a simple process below…
· Turn off the air compressor.
· Reduce the pressure completely.
· Go to the drain valve and open it up. For that you can tilt the tank.
· Drain the oil completely.
· Close up the drain valve.
Most of the 30 gallon air compressors available in the market can draw about 15 to 20 amps on an average 120V outlet. To run this compressor on a generator, you should choose an option that has at least 3000 running watts or 6500 starting watts.
However, most of the brands don’t recommend using generator for powering up the compressor. Because sudden fluctuations can damage the generator seriously. They also deem this option as improper usage and void any warranty associated with it.
Using an air compressor for handling different tasks is not always the same. Below, we have provided some guidelines that let you understand the basic way of handling it.
Step 1: Check the Machine
Initially, you have to check whether everything in the compressor is in the right place or not. And also make sure the hose is secured properly.
Step 2: Power up the Compressor
If it is an electric one, you have to plug it carefully into the outlet. If it is gasoline powered, then check out the oil levels before turning it on.
Step 3: Turning the Pressure Regulator
Start the regulator gently to set the required compression level using the gauges.
Step 4: Hose Attachment
Once the tank is filled up with compressed air, you can attach the tool you want to use.
Step 5: Shut off the Machine
After completing the tasks, gently shut off the machine. Now open the valves for releasing the compressed air.
Portable air compressors are priced at a lower price but the usage has limitation. However, a 30 gallon air compressor can complete the tasks more comfortably, especially if you are working from home. This model also reduces the down time by using multiple air tools. And moreover, these machines are quite versatile as well. So, if you can afford, it is better to go for a 30 gallon air compressor.
One of the best ways to maintain a compressor is to open the release valve as it will release the excess vapor and air, thus maintaining the pressure properly. It is also recommended to operate the air compressors once in a while. Even if there is any need, using it occasionally will turn on the compressor and maintain the pressure regulator in perfect condition.
Another way it is to maintain the air clean and dry. If the compressor is not placed in an area where dry or fresh air is not available, then it is recommended to purchase an air dryer. Moisture in the air can be extremely dangerous for the air compressor. Placing an air dryer will remove moisture and maintain the indoor dry. The air filter will also eliminate the contamination and fine particles.
Clean air is not just for the compressor but also the tools as well. Though it is not clear to us, the air compressor has to fight with moisture and dirty air. If not properly maintained, the dirt can damage the tools as well as the compressor
Every air compressor is different so there is no standard right answer. However, to provide a vague figure, we recommend to for 2 HP 30 gallon air compressor. Though higher HP can be beneficial but some can compromise on the pressure. As each purpose is different, you have to consider the features as well.
Air compressor with lower HP is not suitable for certain users but can be suitable for people who don’t deal with intense work. So, finally it comes down to preference and requirement.
Oil-free tanks are known for their less maintenance. Though they require a little maintenance but not as high as compressors that need lubrication. Oil-free models also don’t release any fumes which makes them environmental friendly.
On other hand, oil compressors have high maintenance. However, they are more durable than their counter parts. They can handle significant tasks and efficient as well.
30-gallon air compressors can be quite useful for both home as well as industrial usage as they are quite compact while offering decent performance. And while there are various such options available out there, we have mentioned some of the best 30-gallon air compressors in this article.
You can also find a detailed buying guide with details like the shape or size of the air compressor, pump capacity, power output, durability, and much more. But if you are still not able to choose the perfect air compressor for your needs and requirements, here are some of our recommendations:
- If you want one of the most powerful options out there without paying a lot of money, then the Campbell Hausfeld 30 gallon Air Compressor can be a great option. It offers a 4.1 CFM rating along with a maximum pressure of 175 PSI while being highly reliable and durable.
- The Industrial Air ILA1683066 offers excellent performance and durability for its given money. Despite its comparatively lower price, it is almost as good as other much more expensive options out there.
- Although if you do not have any budget restrictions, then you can go with the NorthStar portable gas powered air compressor. It comes with a Honda engine that works without electricity and offers the best performing option in this whole article.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!