While there are a lot of processes that go into the manufacturing of any product, sanding is one of the most important ones. Due to this, machines like drum sanders are highly useful for heavy-duty and industrial applications due to the following factors and features:
- Motor Power: These drum sanders are powered by an electric motor that is quite important to check in terms of its power output. While most options out there have a power output of around 1 HP, some highly powerful options have a 5 HP power rating.
- Drum Size: While it is not true for all models, some drum sanders mention the size of their sanding drum. This is simply due to the reason that a larger drum size of 10 inches offers more surface area than a 6-inch drum for working with it quite easily.
- Warranty: Just like any other power tool, you would want your drum sander to last for a long time. Therefore, you should look out for drum sanders that can last for a long time and offer a 5-year warranty instead of the common 1 year or 2 year long warranty periods.
Here in this article, we have mentioned some of the best drum sanders along with their major features and options. Apart from their features and differences, you can also find a detailed “Buying Guide” to learn more about drum sanders. In other words, you can easily buy the perfect drum sander once you have followed this article until the end.
Best Drum Sanders
5 Best Drum Sanders Reviews
Almost all of the power tools made by Jet are of high quality that makes them highly reliable and durable in comparison to other options.
The Jet 723520K JWDS-1632 drum sander is present in the 1st position in this article as it is the most reliable and durable option present in this article. It offers an excellent build quality to the user that is much better than most other options out there. Not only that, but you even get a 5-year long warranty with it for peace of mind.
As for its performance, it uses a 1 ½ HP electric motor that is quite decent. This motor uses 20 amps of electric current that is on par with most other options in its class. Although, unlike other reliable drum sanders out there, this one has a lower price tag.
- Electric motor power rating of 1 ½ HP
- 5-year long warranty
- 20 amp electric current consumption
- 4-inch dust collection port
- Most reliable and durable drum sander without an extra premium
- Decently powerful 1 ½ HP electric motor
- Comes with easy to use controls and adjustment options
- Motor is a bit on the louder side
You can find various kinds of power tool options from Grizzly Industrial that are made for different applications like sanding.
Grizzly Industrial’s G8479 drum sander is present in the 2nd position in this article as it is the cheapest option mentioned in this article. Despite the extremely low price tag of this drum sander, you get a decent performance out of its 1 HP electric motor. It can go up to 1725 RPM that should be more than enough for most users.
As for the drum size, it can go up to 3 ¼ inch x 7 ⅞ inch if needed, which is quite a large drum size. Even though it is a budget-oriented drum sander, you get a 1-year long warranty with it that is always great to have. Although the build quality is quite average.
- Electric motor power rating of 1 HP
- 1-year long warranty
- 1725 rounds per minute motor speed rating
- Up to 3 ¼ inch x 7 ⅞ inch drum size
- Affordable price tag for high value for money
- Great performance out of 1 HP motor
- Decent 1-year long warranty
Powermatic is one of the more premium brands of power tools out there that is mainly known for making highly powerful drum sanders and other industrial equipment.
This Powermatic PM2244 drum sander is present in this article as it makes for a great pick for users who are looking for a drum sander for industrial usage. Just per its name, it comes with quite a powerful 1 ¾ HP electric motor. This motor is able to offer great performance when combined with the Feed Logic feature of this drum sander that offers maximum efficiency.
Since this drum sander is a bit on the expensive side, you also get various handy features with it like an inbuilt LED light. Its control panel offers various adjustments for high precision results while using it. As for the warranty, Powermatic offers a 5-year long warranty that makes this model highly durable and reliable.
- Electric motor power rating of 1 ¾ HP
- 5-year long warranty
- Easy to use controls
- Inbuilt LED lights
- Highly durable and reliable with a 5-year long warranty
- Offers decent performance with a 1 ¾ HP motor
- Precise controls and adjustments for ease of use
- Slightly on the expensive side
Shop Fox is a premium brand that provides high quality stationary and benchtop equipment to wood and metalworkers. The brand develops and sells specialized machinery for commercial as well as DIY workshops.
Shop Fox’s drum sander finds a place on our list as it is one of the most power options available. The drum sander runs on a 13-amp sanding motor that delivers up to 3,450 RPM and surface speed of up to 2,300 FPM. This drum sander is capable of handling most stock produced in commercial shops as it comes with 12 inches width and 3-½ inches thick capacity.
There is a variable speed knob using which you can adjust the feed rate between 2.47 and 17.3 FPM. With this variation, you can set the ideal speed for sanding both hard and softwood. There is a crank handle that can be turned to adjust the depth of the cut. This is a compact drum sander that you can place in tight spaces. On top of all these, you get a 2 years warranty on this drum sander from the date of purchase.
- Drum surface speed of 2300 FPM
- Variable feed speed of 2.47 to 17.3 FPM
- 2-½ inches dust collection port
- Two adjustable pressure rollers
- 2 years warranty
- Easy to install
- Easy to change between sanding hard and softwood
- Can make adjustments precisely
- Poor customer service and technical support
Jet Tools is a leading global manufacturer of industrial and woodworking tools. The brand develops innovative products with a robust build quality to meet the diverse needs of metal working and material handling users.
The reason that Jet’s drum sander finds a place in our list is because of its robust construction. The drum sander is made of heavy-duty die-cast aluminum and steel body that makes it durable. Besides, aluminum is good at dissipating heat and protects wood from damage due to heat. The conveyor belt is reinforced with steel that makes it resistant against damage.
The other best feature of this drum sander is its infinitely variable speed control using which you can set the ideal feed rate. Irrespective of soft or hardwood, this drum sander creates a smooth surface. On top of all the durable and user-friendly features, the drum sander also comes with a 3 years warranty from the date of purchase.
- Runs on 8-amp motor
- Made of heavy-duty die-cast aluminum and steel
- Infinitely variable feed rate speed control
- Steel-reinforced conveyor belt
- 3 years warranty period
- Durable and withstands damage
- Ideal for soft and hardwood
- Long warranty period
- Have to make comes adjustments before using the sander
Buying Guide For The Best Drum Sander
As you would have seen, we have mentioned all of the major features and options of the different drum sanders present above. Although, these details are only meant for learning their differences and not learning about drum sanders in general. If you want to learn more about these drum sanders, then you have to refer to this buying guide. You can find a lot of the important and useful aspects of drum sanders in this buying guide. In other words, you can easily pick up the perfect drum sander after going through it:
1. Motor Power
The motor power of any electric power tool is highly important to check before buying one. It simply allows you to select drum sanders for your required applications as the motor power directly affects the performance of a given drum sander. If you are familiar with drum sanders or any electric power tool, then you must know the power rating of an electric motor is usually given in HP or horsepower.
This is also true for drum sanders that can include different options like 1 HP or 1 ½ HP depending on the model that you get. Although some options might even come with a 5 HP rating for heavy-duty and industrial applications.
Another thing that you should keep in mind while selecting the motor power of a drum sander is that a higher power rating also results in higher power consumption. Therefore, you should get a drum sander that offers a balance between and power consumption for high efficiency.
2. Drum Size
While only a few drum sander models out there mention the drum size, it is another important fact that should be considered before buying a drum sander for yourself. This is simply due to the reason that any sanding drum or surface that is large in size offers a higher contact surface area for easily sanding a given object.
Usually, the drum size varies from 10 inch to 20 inch where the larger size option is better for heavy-duty applications as you can easily work on the surface of large objects.
3. Size and Form Factor
As you would know, a drum sander is not made for portable usage since it is made for installation in a workshop or garage. But even then, its size and form factor are quite important to check before buying a drum sander. Therefore, you should find a balance between the drum size and the overall form factor of a given drum sander.
This is simply due to the reason that any drum sander that is large in size will take up a lot of space in your workshop or garage. It also makes moving a drum sander from location to another quite difficult if ever required.
Almost all of the drum sander models out there come with a manufacturer’s warranty. This can be quite handy for peace of mind as you can get your drum sander repaired under warranty later on if required.
Most of the drum sanders out there come with a 1 year or a 2-year long warranty. Although, you can find some more reliable and durable models that offer a 5-year long warranty to the user for peace of mind. Such options can be used for a long time without any issues.
You can use a drum sander for easily sanding a lot of objects and materials quite easily. Since these are so handy, there are a lot of options out there that make the purchasing process quite confusing. To help you out in buying the perfect one, we are here with the best drum sanders. This article even has its major features and options so that you can easily understand the differences between them. You can also find a detailed buying guide in this article that will take you through various things related to drum sanders. Based on all of this, here are some of our favorite recommendations:
- The Jet Drum Sander is the most reliable and durable option present in this article as it offers an excellent build quality to the user. You even get a 5-year long warranty on its 1 ½ HP electric motor that is not found in other products at its price range.
- If you are on a budget, you can consider the Grizzly Drum Sander as it is the cheapest option present in this article. And even then, it offers a decent 1 HP electric motor with a 1-year long warranty that is pretty good for the given price tag.
- Although, if you do not have any budget restrictions and want a drum sander for industrial needs, you can go with the Shop Fox Drum Sander as it comes with a highly powerful 1 ½ electric motor and a 26-inch drum that should be more than enough for most users.
Make sure to share your thoughts in the comments section. You can also post any questions down there if you have any!