Casting your screen is one of the most basic smart features available on almost any smart device present in the market right now. It allows you to mirror your smartphone or laptop’s display on your TV so that you can enjoy all of your content on a much larger display. This allows users to watch movies, play games, or work on a larger and high-resolution display of your smart TV.
The Chromecast device designed by Google is a great casting device. It offers seamless screen mirroring without any significant quality loss and also offers minimal latency over wireless networks. Hence, it gets much easier to control the content on your TV straight from your mobile.
There are also dedicated apps designed for Chromecast that use internet service to sync your smartphone with the TV and play the content directly from the source for the best quality. But what if you do not have an internet service or WiFi available at your home? Let’s find out whether it is possible to use Google’s Chromecast device without WiFi.
Using Chromecast Without WiFi
Google’s Chromecast is one of the earliest services to offer screencasting capabilities for all devices. Even without a smart TV, you can easily plug in Google’s Chromecast device any HDMI-supported TV and case any display you want without any problem. All you will need is an HDMI connection and a stable WiFi connection to connect your device via Chromecast.
But, there are ways to use the Chromecast even without WiFi. Those who do not have a dedicated WiFi network in their home can still use Google’s Chromecast device and get the same benefits. While using Chromecast with WiFi is straightforward, using it without WiFi needs a little bit of workaround. Today, we will be discussing using Google’s Chromecast service without WiFi. Make sure you read all of the solutions present in this article to make sure you find a working solution for your devices.
Use Chromecast via Guest Mode Feature
Google Chromecast device enables its users to use the screencasting features without WiFi via guest mode feature. Initially, this feature was introduced to allow guests to connect their devices without getting access to your home WiFi connection. But, this feature also gets in handy while connecting your own device without needing WiFi.
If you have purchased a newer model of Google’s Chromecast device, you will be getting a built-in WiFi module in the unit itself. Hence, it can easily connect to any WiFi network, whether it is your home network or the tethering network of your smartphone. In the guest method, the device transmits a signal at an abnormal frequency which is only detected by the device. This way, it can establish a secure connection easily.
Here’s how you can connect your smartphone to your Chromecast by using guest mode.
- First of all, you need to download the Google Home app on your phone. You can directly download this app from the Google Play Store.
- Once you have downloaded the app, open the app and select the Chromecast device from the list.
- Once you do that, you need to enter the settings by tapping the little gear icon present on the app.
- Here, you will find many preference options along with a guest mode feature.
- Enable guest mode from here. Once you do that, a random pin is generated on the app. This way, you can use guest mode to connect your device without using WiFi.
Use Chromecast With Google Cast-Ready
To be able to use guest mode, you must have a Chromecast device that supports guest mode features. But, there is yet another alternative option available for you to use your device without using WiFi. All you have to do is download the Google Cast-Ready from the play store. Before you do that, make sure that the Chromecast device has been upgraded to the latest firmware available for your device. Otherwise, you will not be able to connect your device with the cast-ready app.
Follow the steps given below to use the Google Cast-Ready with your Chromecast.
- Download and install the Google Cast-Ready on your device.
- Open the Google Cast-Ready and tap on the “cast” icon available on the top right area of your screen while playing the video content.
- Now, you will receive a pin code on your device. Enter the given code to continue.
- Once verified, the device will be linked with your smartphone.
- After that, you will start seeing the content directly on the TV via the Chromecast device without worrying about the WiFi connection.
Use a LAN cable For Your Chromecast
The best and most reliable alternative for the WiFi connection is a wired Ethernet connection. The Ethernet connection has been around for a very long time now and still being used as the primary form of connection at professional workplaces and offices. It is very to connect Chromecast to your smartphone via a LAN cable. There are also additional advantages such as increased bandwidth speed, reduced latency, and a stable connection.
After connecting your Chromecast to your device via a LAN cable, you will find significant improvement in the casting performance of your device. Here’s how you can do it.
- Get access to a LAN cable that has USB available on one end.
- In case you are using a Google Chromecast ultra, you can plug the Ethernet cable directly to your router and plug the USB end into the Chromecast device.
- This will enable internet services for your device, given that your Ethernet is connected to an active internet connection.
- With an active internet connection, you can find multiple ways to sync your device with your Chromecast.
Is It Possible To Use a Portable Router With Chromecast?
The Google Chromecast device is a compact and portable device. Hence, it is also popular amongst users who travel often. While traveling, you can still use the Chromecast device by connecting it with your travel router. Also, using your private router is a much safer alternative compared to public WiFi hotspots available in hotels, lobbies, and waiting areas.
To do so, follow the steps given here.
- Once you have set up your travel or portable router, head over to the Chromecast mobile app and connect it with the router.
- As for the router, you can use any internet connectivity option supported by the router. You can either use the wireless option or plug a LAN cable into the router to get a stable connection.
Smartphone Hotspot Feature For Chromecast
Just like a router, your smartphone can also create a public or private wireless connection via the hotspot feature available on the smartphone. Almost every Android, as well as Apple smartphone, features the hotspot feature, which allows you to share your phone’s internet connectivity to nearby phones or smart devices such as streaming box and Chromecast.
To do this, simply enable the hotspot feature on your phone. Here, you will see the network SSID and optional password for your network. Now, just connect Google Chromecast to your phone’s network just like you connect it to any other WiFi network through the smartphone application.
There are many dedicated third-party applications designed for devices such as the Chromecast to help its users use the Chromecast device without any hurdles. The third apathy applications are usually a better choice in case you own an Apple device.
There are hundreds of third-party apps available just a single search away that offers you to use Chromecast without WiFi. Connectify Hotspot is a great third-party app that supports Chromecast. This application enables you to directly share an internet connection from your computer directly to the Chromecast device. Here’s how you can use the application.
- First of all, download the Connectify Hotspot application on your system and finish the primary setup. Launch the application and set up an SSID and password.
- Now, select the Hotspot option from the application and connect your smartphone to the network.
- After that, connect the Chromecast device to the same network. Once you are done, you will see the smartphone as a connectable device.
- If it is not available, you can add the device from the Chromecast mobile app too. Once the setup is done, you can start streaming your local content directly to your Chromecast without WiFi.
Chromecast Tips And Tricks
We hope that one of our solutions presented above has enabled the Chromecast service for you without needing WiFi. If you are now able to use Chromecast without any connectivity problem, let’s talk about some handy tips and tricks which will be useful for you while using the Chromecast device.
1. Youtube’s Shared Playlist Feature
If you mainly use youtube to watch content online, you can use Youtube’s shred playlist feature to cast your content on your Chromecast. You can have multiple devices connected to the same network where you can create a shared youtube playlist and play the videos from the playlist on your TV.
In the Youtube app, you will find the cast option, which directly transfers the video URL to your Chromecast. While using this feature, Chromecast will be casting the video from the original source so that you can watch the videos in high quality.
2. Use Computer Instead of Smartphone For Casting
Chromecast also allows users to connect their desktop computers or laptops for casting. The major advantage of using a computer is that you can multitask while sharing your screen. When using your computer, you can enable the casting and minimize the streaming window. The content will still be streaming on your Chromecast while you can work on your computer.
3. Using Your Smartphone As A TV Remote
If you connect your smartphone with Chromecast, you can use your phone as a remote to turn your TV on or off. The Chromecast also supports the HDMI-CEC feature that grants the Chromecast control over the TV. Hence, it can turn the TV on or off based on the state of the Chromecast device.
4. Ambient Mode Feature
Even when you are not watching your TV or streaming content, you can still use the device to play a soothing animation on your TV. The ambient mode of the Chromecast device automatically enables when you haven’t had any content playing for a long time. You can also customize the ambient mode by selecting your Google photos library or any other source enabled for the ambient mode.
5. Consider Google Stadia
If you are into gaming, you should look into Google stadia. This is a service from Google which allows you to stream and play games directly on your smartphone, desktop, laptop, or even your Chromecast. You Can also buy the Google stadia wireless controller for a better gaming experience.
Using a Chromecast device with WiFi is very easy. But, it gets a bit annoying if your WiFi connection is unstable or if you do not have WiFi available at your place. Hence, we have provided you many alternative solutions so that you can use Chromecast without WiFi easily. If you are facing any trouble while going through the solutions presented here, you can simply ask a question in the comment section.