If you are a Wood Carving Artist, either you do it as a profession or just do it as a hobby, you should have a decent set of Wood Carving Tools that could help you shape and define the carvings well.
If you look into the market, there are hundreds of Wood Carving Tools that are available which can be slightly confusing. However, we have already done the hard task for you and have shortlisted some of the best Wood Carving Tools that you can check out. But before we jump on to the list, you must know a few factors that you should consider checking before buying:
- of Tools: Among the various wood carving tool kits that you will find on the market, most of them come with a variety of tools. That said, if you are a beginner, you can go for the tool kits that have more tools as that deal would offer a good value for your money. Otherwise, if you are a professional and already know what you need for your work, you can choose any tool kit you want.
- Build Material: Checking the build material of the tools is highly important since wood carving is a tough job, and definitely requires some highly tough tools. Most wood carving tools out there are either made using carbon steel or chromium-vanadium steel. Both the materials are definitely good, but chromium-vanadium is slightly tougher than the latter and lasts longer.
- Handle Type: Well, while you are looking for a decent wood carving tool kit, don’t fall for the options which have bad build quality. You should only be looking out for options that have a decent build quality such as tools with wooden handles as they are more durable and easy to fix as well.
To know more about wood carving tools, we have already covered many other similar aspects in the detailed buying guide below. Hence, if you need any further assistance with this purchase, the buying guide will help you out and clear away most of your doubts.
That said, if you are a beginner and buying a wood carving set for the first time, then reading the Buying Guide is highly recommended for you. Until then, let’s take a look at the list and check out the best wood carving tools that we have shortlisted for you.
Best Wood Carving Tools 2021
Best Wood Carving Tools Reviews
Let’s start this list with one of the most budget-friendly wood carving tool kits on the market, it is offered by AUGSUN which is quite a decent brand that is popular for making high quality tools.
In this set of wood carving tools, you will get a total of 20 different types of knives, chisels, and gouges, all made from high quality carbon steel. Apart from that, all the tools have exceptionally good build quality as they come with 4.3″ ergonomically designed wooden handles that offer you a good enough grip to use the tools efficiently.
Moreover, each tool is adequately sharpened and comes with a safety cap as well. In addition, you will get a carrying case to store the tools safely. Along with the kit, you will also find additional accessories in the kit such as a whetstone, a carpenter pencil, and 2 pieces of wipe cloth as well.
- Includes 20 different types of tools
- Each tool has a 4.3″ wooden handle
- Accessories include a whetstone, a carpenter pencil, and 2 pieces of wipe cloth
- Quite inexpensive
- Build quality is great
- Carry case is also included in the package
- Not much ideal for hardwood
Coming over to the premium segment of wood carving tools, Schaaf is one of the best brands out there that you can choose to buy your tools from.
Since Schaaf is quite a reputed brand and is known mostly for its product’s build quality, each tool in the set comes with long and sharp blades made of CR-V 60 material. Thus, there is no compromise on the build quality since the build material of the blades is extremely strong and has quite a long lifespan too.
In this toolset, Schaaf offers a total of 12 different kinds of tools which are great if you are a beginner and have just started to learn the wood carving art. The tools are extremely handy, thanks to the 14 cm long European style octagonal handles that are very grippy. Apart from that, you also get a carrying bag along with the tools to store them safely after use.
- Includes 12 different types of tools
- Each tool has a 14 cm long European style octagonal handle
- Blades are made from alloy chromium-vanadium steel
- Blades have ultra-sharp edges
- Build material is highly premium and long-lasting
- Easy to use for the beginners
If you are looking for a specific high quality Wood Carving Gouge Chisel, the Gouge G7L/22 from BeaverCraft is definitely a good option that you can add to your wood carving toolset.
This long bent gouge is built extremely well and has quite a long and ergonomic handle that will help you out to use this tool comfortably and conveniently. This blade of this gouge is crafted from carbon steel and is fairly long in length as well that helping out to easily carve out the wood.
Due to its bent design, it’s best for making spoons and bowls, or simply making round hollow surfaces in any sculpture. If we talk about its handle, it’s quite thick and almost about 6.1” in length. Moreover, this tool’s mirror polished blade comes pre-sharpened, so it’s fairly simple to use and you can start working with it as soon as you take it out of the package.
- Pre-sharpened bowl carving Gouge Chisel
- The tool has a 6.1” wooden handle
- The blade is made from carbon steel
- No need to use a mallet
- Has a mirror-polished smooth finish
- Comes pre-sharpened
Next up, we have yet another budget-friendly wood carving tool set that you might like to check out as Adevena is a highly well-known and trusted brand in the market.
In case you are a beginner, this is one of the cheapest tool sets that you can start using to learn wood carving. This is basically a set of 12 different gouges made from high-grade carbon steel material. The blades on each tool are razor-sharp, and thanks to the electrolyte coating over them, these blades are not going to face any wear and tear anytime soon.
While the blades are of fairly small size, the case is not the same with the handle as they are pretty long and makes the tool easier to hold and use. The length of the handle of each tool is 4.5 inches and is made from wood, which makes these tools look a lot premium. The good fact about this tool set is that every tool comes with a safety cap, and all of the tools come inside a carry case.
- Includes 12 different types of tools
- Each tool has a 4.5″ wooden handle
- Blades are made from Carbon Steel
- Very affordable pricing
- Comes with a carry case
- Build quality of the blades is actually good
- Might not perform well with hardwood
Coming to the next wood knife set, if you are looking for a kit that includes plenty of tools, WAYCOM has just the right option available for you.
For those people who want to get almost all kinds of wood carving tools in one go, this kit comes with a total of 24 different tools, in all shapes and sizes. Since all the tools are made from carbon steel, you don’t have to worry about the blades as they are made to last for years.
Since there are plenty of tools available on this tool set, this is the only kit that you would ever require for all your wood carving needs. This is actually a combination of 3 different tool sets. While the PM132 tools have a 110mm long handle, the PMB-306 tools have a 100mm handle, and the PMA-306 tools come with a relatively smaller handle of 89mm in length. All of which are made of wood, and are well-polished also.
- Includes 24 different types of tools
- Tools have 110mm, 100mm, and 89mm long handles
- Blades of the tools are made from Carbon Steel
- Plenty of tools on offer
- Perfect wood carving starter kit for beginners
- Adequate pricing
- No carrying case is offered with the tools
Similky is one such brand in the market that is highly rated by its past customers as it sells a wide variety of high quality wood carving tools at very reasonable and attractive prices.
Talking about this wood carving tool set, it includes a total of 5 different knife tools including a highly sharp hook-shaped knife that is of high premium quality. The tools look absolutely premium, thanks to the black walnut handle which makes the tool highly comfortable to hold.
All the tools in this kit have precisely sharpened blades made from chromium-vanadium steel which is better than most other types of steel generally used to make tools. Hence, the tools that you get in this set are highly durable and have a long-lasting life as well. On top of that, Similky also offers a carry case with the tools, and several other accessories such as a pair of cut-resistant gloves, a wood carving spoon, braided leather, polishing paste, and a knife stone.
- Includes 5 different types of tools
- Tools have black walnut handles
- Blades are made from chromium-vanadium steel
- Rugged and sturdy build quality
- Excellent cutting performance
- Blades are corrosion resistance
Coming up next, we have another good option offered by Krescent Kraft, in case you are looking out for an affordable set of wood carving tools.
The deal is fairly good as this set comes at a very attractive price, and you get a total of 14 pieces of wood carving tools in this set. This set of tools consists of 3 skew chisels, 3 gouges, 2 chisels, a dog-leg chisel, one V-parting tool, a spear scraper, and a round nose scraper. Hence, it’s a pretty good deal for beginner wood carving artists who want a complete set of tools to start learning.
The build quality of the tools is decently good as all the tools come with a 4.25-inch long wooden handle, and the blades are crafted from SK5 carbon steel that is much appreciated for its strength and durability. Apart from that, although the blades are adequately sharp, you also get a whetstone in the kit in case you want to resharpen the tools later. Moreover, the case in which the tools come is of very good quality and helps you keep the tools safe.
- Includes 14 different types of tools
- Each tool has a 4.25″ wooden handle
- Accessories include a whetstone and a carry case
- SK5 carbon steel blades are highly durable
- Great for beginners
- Some blades might need to be resharpened
If you are a professional wood carving artist, you might not need any other tools than what Jane Choi offers in this tool set.
Although the tool kit consists of only 3 tools, if you are good at wood carving, you will be able to finish most of your projects with these tools easily. The kit consists of Carving Hook Knife, Wood Whittling Knife, and a Chip Carving Knife that should be enough if you are good at wood carving. Speaking about the build quality of the tools, they come with black walnut wooden handles which are pretty strong and look very premium.
Since the blades of these tools are made from Chromium Vanadium Alloy Steel, the quality is exceptionally good as this material is better than most other standard steel types. In fact, tools made from Chromium Vanadium Alloy Steel are highly resistant to corrosion, so these tools will definitely last for years in your workshop. In addition, Jane Choi also offers a cloth bag, a pair of cut-resistant gloves, a leather strop, and a polishing compound with the tools.
- Includes 3 different types of tools
- Two tools have a 4.1″ wooden handle, and the other one has a 5 inches handle
- Blades are made from Chromium Vanadium Alloy Steel
- Excellent build quality
- Comes with a portable roll strap for carrying the tools
- Easy and comfortable to use
- No mention of any warranty or guarantee
When it comes to making wood carving tools, Cuitaste has a very good reputation in the market since its tools come with very reasonable pricing, and are very long-lasting.
The kit includes a detail knife, a whittling knife, a hook knife, and an additional geometric carving knife that are good enough for any professional to make attractive wood carving artifacts. The blades on these tools are pre-sharpened with precision so that users can start using them as soon as the package arrives. If you are concerned about the build quality, each of the tools has wooden handles which are joined with the blades with copper plate caps that keep the tools intact strongly.
The quality of the blades is also exceptionally good since they are made from high-grade carbon steel, so they won’t lose their sharpness anytime soon. However, if you wish to polish or resharpen the tools again, the kit also includes a polishing compound and a sharpening stone in the package. Moreover, you do get a carry bag with the kit along with a pair of cut-resistant gloves, and two wooden blocks to test out how these tools perform.
- Includes 4 different types of tools
- Each tool comes with a sturdy wooden handle
- Accessories include a whetstone, carry bag, polishing compound, and a pair of cut-resistant gloves
- Reasonable pricing
- Tools perform excellently
- Carry case is also included in the package
- The quality of the carry bag is quite average
Yet another strong contender on this list is this tool set from Chiyuehe which is a brand that is preferred by most professional wood carving artists out there.
Not only for the professionals, but this set is also even a perfect option for beginner artists as it boasts of a total of 12 different tools that can help anyone carve an attractive wooden artifact. In the kit, you will get gouges of different sizes, a wide variety of chisels, 4 angled knives, parting, and a pinpoint tool that will help you in detailing the artefacts.
The quality of the blades is remarkably good as they are made from SK5 carbon steel with an electrolytic coating that prevents the blades from losing their sharpness. Moreover, each of the tools is perfectly and strongly attached to their wooden handles, so there’s no chance of any cracks or causing any damage to the tools while you work using them. In fact, the tools come in a decent carry case which is of quite a good quality as well.
- Includes 12 different types of tools
- Each tool has a wooden handle
- Blades are made from SK5 carbon steel material
- Ergonomic design
- Build quality is good
- Tools come pre-sharpened
- A little pricey than other options
Here we have yet another interesting brand choice in case you are looking out for a mid-range wood carving tool set, Fuyit has a wide range of varieties to choose from.
Speaking about this particular tool set, it comes with a total of 3 wood carving tools out of which two are extremely sharp Sloyd and Chip knives, and the third one is a hook-shaped tool. Each of the tools in this kit comes with an ergonomic handle made of durable Ash wood, hence, there’s no risk of corrosion or any deformity even after a long time of usage.
On the other hand, if we talk about the build quality of the blades, each blade is made from Chromium-vanadium Steel which is a highly durable and premium material itself. Apart from the tools, the kit comprises 10 basswood blocks that can be used to test out the knives if you are a beginner. Moreover, there are Level 5 cut-resistant gloves also on offer along with a leather strop, polishing compound, and a roll-strap carrying bag.
- Includes 3 different types of wood carving knives
- Each tool has a durable Ash wood handle
- Accessories include 10 basswood blocks, leather strop, polishing compound, roll-strap carrying bag, and a pair of level 5 cut-resistant gloves
- Adequate pricing
- Ideal option for beginners
- Tools are comfortable to hold
- A limited number of tools
If you are looking out for a premium brand to find the right wood carving tools set for yourself, you should not miss out on checking this option from FLEXCUT.
The Deluxe Palm Tool Set from FLEXCUT is one of the best options you can try out as this set includes a total of 9 different palm carving tools that are of extremely good build quality. Since the pricing of this tool set is quite high, you do get to see that level of perfection in every tool that this set consists of.
Every tool present in this set comes with an ergonomic ash hardwood handle that is designed to fit perfectly in your palm. Moreover, the blades on each tool are made from high-grade carbon steel, hence, you can be sure about their longevity. In addition, the tool set comes in a highly durable and strong wooden box, hence, storing this tool set safely is not at all an issue.
- Includes 9 different palm carving tools
- Each tool has an ergonomic ash hardwood handle
- Blades are made of high-grade carbon steel
- Premium build quality
- Comfortable wooden handle
- Blades are razor-sharp
Buying Guide for the Best Wood Carving Tools
Buying a new carving tool set from the market is quite a simple task yet highly confusing and time-consuming since there are hundreds of options to choose from. Although we have already provided you with the list that contains all the best options hand-picked from the best brands to make it easier for you all.
Whether you are a professional wood carving artist or enjoy carving wood for fun as a hobby, a decent wood carving tool kit will help you create a well-defined artifact and will also help you in improving your skills. So, if you wonder how you can pick the best wood carving tool kit from the market, this buying guide will help you out, so make sure to read it until the end.
No. of Tools
In case you are a beginner, having a tool kit with a variety of wood carving tools available to start with is a great option. However, if you are a professional artist, chances are that you might be having some of the tools already. If you look at the list, all the options that we have mentioned have multiple tools in them. That said, you can check out each and every tool kit, and see if they consist of the tools that you require for your work.
Since woodworking is quite a tough task and it tests the potential of the tools as well, you should definitely be concerned about the build quality of the tools that you are going to purchase. In general, the best wood carving tools are made of carbon steel which is quite a highly durable material and lasts for a very long time.
However, if you want even better options, premium-grade tools are made using chromium-vanadium steel which is even more durable than carbon steel and has a better lifespan as well. In fact, tools made from chromium-vanadium steel are much better since the material is quite strengthful and tougher than carbon steel.
Another thing that you should be concerned about the wood carving tools is their build quality. Don’t go for the cheaper options, instead, the wood carving tools that come with wooden handles are much more convenient to use, and last longer. In fact, tools with wooden handles look more premium and are very simple to fix as well. On the other hand, tools made using other cheaper materials won’t last for long as wood carving is not at all an easy job, it definitely requires tough tools.
Although you might be concerned mostly about the tools, you should not neglect to check the other accessories that come with the tool kit. To keep and store your tools safely, a carry bag is a must-have! Apart from that, several brands also offer a pair of cut-resistant gloves, polishing compound, and sharpening stone, and additional wooden blocks to test out the tools which are a great add-on. In case you are a beginner and still learning the art, you should definitely have all these accessories with you.
FAQs about Wood Carving Tools
1. Is carbon steel better than chromium-vanadium steel?
Ans. Carbon Steel is one of the most widely used when it comes to tools since it’s tough and quite inexpensive as well. On the other hand, other material options such as Chromium-vanadium Steel are definitely a little more expensive, but that is because of its greater strength and long-lasting nature as it does not corrode that easily. Hence, if you are looking for a premium toolset, chromium-vanadium steel tools are a good option to pick.
2. Do wood carving tools need to be sharpened?
Ans. Most brands offer tools that are pre-sharpened and ready-to-use, so you can start working using them as soon as you take them out of the box. However, with time, the tools will start to gradually wear and lose their sharpness. Hence, you will have to resharpen them after some time.
3. Are wood carving and woodworking different?
Ans. Yes, definitely woodworking and wood carving are two different tasks. Woodworking is more related to making furniture such as tables, chairs, beds, etc. On the other hand, wood carving is basically art in which people make sculptures out of wood.
In this article, we have covered up so many wood carving tool options as you might have already seen on the list. That said, you can check out the tools and see if something suits your requirements and budget, and get it for yourself. We would suggest you to go with a tool kit that has multiple tools in it, if you are a beginner and buying a wood carving tool kit for the first time.
Otherwise, if you are a professional, you already have good enough knowledge about the tools, so picking the right one should not be a hard task for you. In case any of the readers want to know about wood carving tools in detail, the buying guide has all the essential information that a customer should take care of. Still, if you are not able to make your final decision, feel free to choose one from our personal recommendations:
- You can consider choosing the AUGSUN Wood Carving Knife Set since it offers you a total of 20 different wood carving tools made from high-grade carbon steel. Moreover, the kit also includes a bunch of accessories such as a whetstone, a carpenter pencil, and 2 pieces of wipe cloth which completes this kit and makes it a high value for money deal for the customers.
- On the other hand, if you want to pick a professional-grade premium toolset, the Schaaf Wood Carving Tools will be a great option for you. In this toolset, Schaaf offers a total of 12 tools made from alloy chromium-vanadium steel which is way better than standard steel in terms of strength and toughness. Moreover, each tool comes with a 14 cm long European style octagonal handle that makes it a lot easier to use the tools with convenience.
- If you are in search of a single chisel tool, there’s no other best option for you than the BeaverCraft Wood Carving Gouge Chisel 7L/22. This chisel is of exceptionally good quality and is found in almost every professional’s wood carving workshop. It features a 6.1” wooden handle and is made from high-grade carbon steel, hence, the build quality is remarkably good and impressive.