Engine oil is a vital component in any vehicle, including those with powerful engines like Cummins. It plays a crucial role in ensuring the smooth and efficient operation of the engine. One of the primary functions of engine oil is to lubricate the various moving parts within the engine. Without proper lubrication, these parts would experience excessive friction, leading to wear and tear. Cummins engines, known for their durability and power, rely on engine oil to keep their intricate components running smoothly. So, it’s necessary to choose a proper engine oil for your 5.9 Cummins engines based on the following factors.
- Viscosity Grade: The viscosity grade of an engine oil is a critical factor that significantly influences the oil’s performance and its ability to protect and lubricate an engine effectively. Viscosity refers to the oil’s thickness or its resistance to flow. It is typically measured at two temperatures: high temperature (100°C) and low temperature (0°C or -30°C), and these measurements are indicated by the two numbers in the oil’s viscosity grade, such as 10W-40 or 5W-30.
- Maximum Engine Life: With almost every engine oil, you will find an expected engine life improvement which you must check before you pick up an option. It directly impacts the long-term health and performance of the engine. Engine oil serves as a protective barrier between moving engine components. High-quality engine oils are formulated with additives that reduce friction, preventing metal-to-metal contact. Over time, this reduction in wear leads to a longer engine life.
- Quantity: Checking the quantity of engine oil in a container before buying is a critical step for several reasons, as it ensures you get the right amount of oil for your vehicle and helps you avoid potential issues down the road. Different vehicles have varying oil capacities depending on their engine size and design. By checking the quantity of oil in the container, you can verify whether it matches the oil capacity recommended by your vehicle’s manufacturer.
Today, we have gathered the best engine oil that you can use with 5.9 Cummins and other similar engines so that you don’t have to waste any more time browsing and comparing different options. Here, we will find all options listed along with their specifications and a brief review so that you can easily understand the product. We have also prepared a “Buying Guide” for the best engine oil which you should definitely check out before you make the purchase.
Best Oil for 5.9 Cummins List
Best Oil for 5.9 Cummins Reviews
When it comes to vehicle maintenance, you need to be careful about the products you are using whether its exterior or interior maintenance. You should always go with trusted brands like Valvoline.
In the 1st place, we have the Valvoline High Mileage Synthetic Blend Motor Oil which is a top-notch solution to keep your high-mileage vehicle running smoothly and efficiently. Valvoline’s MaxLife Technology sets this motor oil apart by delivering exceptional wear protection. It boasts an impressive 40% better wear protection than the industry standard, ensuring that your engine remains robust and reliable, even as the miles pile up.
Aging seals in high-mileage engines can lead to leaks and performance issues. Valvoline High Mileage oil includes seal conditioners that help rejuvenate and maintain seals, effectively preventing leaks and maintaining engine integrity. To keep your engine clean and operating at its best, this motor oil contains powerful detergents. These additives work tirelessly to reduce sludge buildup, deposits, corrosion, and rust, preserving your engine’s health and prolonging its life.
- Made with MaxLife technology
- It has seal conditioners
- Contains powerful detergents
- It offers enhanced friction performance
- Most popular choice for 5.9 Cummins engine
- Seal maintenance is very good
- Added detergent maintains engine’s cleanliness
- Viscosity range could have been broader
Castrol is one of the most renowned brands in the world when it comes to oil. Therefore, you will find a suitable choice created by Castrol for all your automotive needs.
In the 2nd position, we have one of the high-end choices available for an oil designed for 5.9 Cummings engine. The Castrol EDGE Euro 5W-40 meets a range of industry specifications, including API CF/SN, ACEA A3/B4, BMW Longlife-01, MB Approval 229.3/229.5, and many more. This oil is engineered to meet the demanding requirements of European automobile manufacturers, making it an ideal choice for both gasoline and diesel engines. Castrol EDGE Euro Car fluids are formulated with Fluid TITANIUM Technology, which also allows the oil to transform under pressure.
This transformation enhances the oil’s film strength, preventing oil breakdown and reducing friction. As a result, it delivers better performance compared to ACEA standards, unlocking your engine’s maximum potential. This advanced full synthetic motor oil offers superior engine protection, surpassing the performance of conventional and synthetic blend oils. It also guards against deposits, wear, and oxidation, ensuring that your engine operates smoothly and efficiently.
- Meets an array of industrial standards
- Fluid TITANIUM technology
- Offers superior engine protection
- Full synthetic motor oil
- It is suitable for various European vehicles, whether gasoline or diesel
- Superior film strength and friction reduction with fluid TITANIUM technology
- Offers up to 40% better engine performance
- Slightly more expensive than other choices for engine oil
Shell is a tried and tested brand for oils, and thousands of professionals trust Shell Petroleum as well as Engine Oil for the well-being of their vehicles.
Our 3rd choice for the best oil for 5.9 Cummins engine is the Shell Rotella T6 Full Synthetic premium engine oil. This is also a powerful and reliable choice designed to provide your diesel engine with superior protection and performance. Shell Rotella T6 is armed with Triple Protection Plus technology, offering an all-encompassing shield against wear, deposits, and oil breakdown. This robust defense ensures that your engine remains in peak condition, whether you drive a pickup truck, tractor, or semi rig.
This full synthetic 15W-40 diesel engine oil goes the extra mile by providing an enhanced fuel economy capability of 1.5%. It achieves this without compromising engine protection or durability, setting it apart from other similar options. The inclusion of multi-functional dispersant additives elevates the level of protection against the effects of soot, dirt, and other contaminants. This advanced formulation goes beyond previous iterations, safeguarding your engine from harmful impurities.
- Triple protection plus technology
- Enhances fuel economy
- Multi-Functional dispersant additives
- Better viscosity control and optimal engine oil pressure
- Wear protection is very good
- It offers superior cold cranking properties
- Minimizes wear and tear during startup
- Most expensive choice for a 5.9 Cummins engine oil
As most engine oil falls in the premium range category, we are adding a budget option from Quaker State right here in case you are looking for a budget choice.
The Quaker State Motor Oil secured a high position on our picks for the best oil for 5.9 Cummins engine oil since it is the cheapest alternative for a capable engine oil right now. Still, Quaker State Synthetic Blend engine oil excels at providing durable wear protection, effectively reducing engine wear. This translates to extended engine life and reliable performance. On top of that, this oil also guards against harmful acids generated by engine contaminants, providing corrosion protection to vital engine components.
Maintaining viscosity is essential for optimal engine protection. Quaker State ensures that this oil maintains its viscosity from start to finish, guaranteeing consistent oil film protection throughout your engine’s operating range. So whether you’re cruising at high speeds on the highway or navigating stop-and-go city traffic, this oil is formulated to help your engine thrive in diverse driving conditions, including daily commutes.
- It has enhanced protection against wear
- Corrosion protection is guaranteed
- It can maintain viscosity
- Sludge and deposit control
- It is the cheapest option compared to other options for engine oil
- Corrosion resistance is pretty good
- It has a consistent viscosity
- It may not be a good choice if you use your vehicle regularly for long-distance travels
Liqui Moly is also a premium choice for engine oils. There is a wide variety of oils created by Liqui Moly that you should check out.
Liqui Moly 2332 Leichtlauf High Tech 5W-40 Engine Oil has earned approvals from vehicle manufacturers, including BMW Longlife-01, MB-Approval 229.5, Porsche A40, etc thanks to its reliability and performance. And it is possible with rapid oil delivery even at low temperatures offered by this option. This means that your engine receives the lubrication it needs right from the start, reducing wear during cold starts. Whether you’re facing extreme heat or cold, this engine oil offers high lubrication reliability across a wide temperature range. It ensures consistent performance, no matter the weather conditions.
With a high level of protection against wear, this oil promotes a long engine service life. It’s also mixable and compatible with commercially-available engine oils, making it versatile and convenient. Liqui Moly’s formula excels at maintaining engine cleanliness, a crucial factor in engine longevity. It has been tested with catalytic converters and proven with turbochargers, attesting to its high performance.
- Rapid oil delivery
- Reliable at high and low temperatures
- Long engine service life
- It keeps engine in outstanding condition
- Supported temperature range is very wide
- Engine longevity is guaranteed
- Keeps engine clean and efficient at all times
- Other options have better viscosity range
Royal Purple is offering yet another budget alternative for a 5.9 Cummins engine oil. From this brand, you can get high-performance motor oil, HPS, HMX, XPR, Max-Cycle, and many other types of oil.
Up next, we have the Royal Purple 04154 15W40 Oil which is a top-tier choice in engine oil that has managed to maintain a pretty positive user feedback. Royal Purple’s 15W40 Oil offers superior wear protection for your engine, ensuring that vital components stay in optimal condition, even under heavy use. This engine oil contributes to increased fuel efficiency, helping you get more mileage out of every gallon of fuel.
Moreover, it goes beyond engine protection by safeguarding your vehicle’s expensive catalytic emission system, reducing the risk of costly repairs or replacements. This oil is formulated for improved compatibility with fuels containing ethanol, making it a versatile choice for modern engines. Royal Purple’s formula provides superior corrosion protection, guarding against rust and other forms of corrosion that can damage your engine.
- Enhances fuel efficiency
- It protects catalytic emission system
- Compatible with ethanol
- Suitable choice for modern engines
- Ensures peak engine performance at all times
- Superior thermal and oxidation control
- Quantity may not be enough for some buyers
Schaeffer Manufacturing might be a familiar name for a lot of you, considering this brand also designs various maintenance accessories and solutions. Apart from oils, it also makes grease, transmission fluids, additives, and more.
The Schaeffer Manufacturing Co.’s 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil is also a trusted choice among those seeking exceptional engine protection. This 15W-40 Diesel Engine Oil excels in providing wear protection even under severe operating conditions. It’s engineered to keep your engine running smoothly, no matter how demanding the environment. It also offers strong oxidation and viscosity control, resulting in less oil consumption. It’s designed to maintain its performance over time, reducing the need for frequent oil changes.
With superior soot-busting and deposit-dispersing capabilities, this engine oil ensures better contamination control. It keeps your engine clean and efficient, extending its lifespan. Schaeffer’s formula maintains strong stay-in-grade performance throughout the life of the oil, ensuring consistent and reliable engine protection. Blended with micron moly and penetrating, this oil reduces friction, contributing to higher engine efficiency and durability.
- Engineered to maintain smooth operation
- Strong oxidation and viscosity control
- Better contamination control
- Blended with micron moly to reduce friction
- It supports diverse operating conditions
- Oil consumption is low
- Extends engine life up to 10,000 miles
- Other options offer better engine life
If you are still looking for a budget option, then check out the following option from Mobil 1. This brand also offers different variations so that you can find the perfect type of motor oil for your car.
The Mobil 1 112786 15W-40 Delvac 1300 Super Motor Oil is a trusted choice among those who demand exceptional engine performance and longevity. Mobil 1 Delvac 1300 Super Motor Oil excels in controlling soot viscosity, contributing to greater engine efficiency and promoting long engine and oil life. It’s designed to keep your engine running smoothly, even under challenging conditions. This motor oil boasts excellent thermal and oxidation stability, reducing the buildup of engine deposits and sludge. This ensures that your engine runs reliably and efficiently over time.
With improved total base number reserves, this oil offers enhanced corrosion protection and extends drain intervals. It’s suitable for both new and old engines using low or ultra-low-sulfur diesel fuel. The stay-in-grade shear stability ensures that the oil maintains its viscosity, providing superb corrosive and abrasive wear resistance. This translates to greater wear protection, prolonging engine life. This motor oil offers excellent oil consumption control, meaning your engine requires less makeup oil during operation. This not only enhances engine efficiency but also lowers oil costs.
- Soot-viscosity control
- Thermal and oxidation stability
- Enhanced TBN reserves
- Oil consumption control
- Extended drain intervals with TBN reserves
- Suitable for mixed fleet operation
- Relatively cheaper option
- Expected miles on engine miles are not as high as other choices
The final option on our list of the best oil for 5.9 Cummins is from Triax, a well-known supplier of solutions and compounds for agriculture engine oils, antifreeze solutions, and a variety of transmission fluids.
In the end, we have the Triax Fleet Supreme ESP 15W-40 API CK-4, which is a full synthetic diesel engine oil and a powerhouse of engine protection and performance. This oil incorporates CRP Organic Metallic Moly plating technology, providing unmatched wear protection, oxidation resistance, and high-temperature stability. It boasts 60% lower wear than leading industry ZDDP products, ensuring your engine stays in optimal condition. This engine oil also excels in turbocharger protection, preventing the formation of deposits and ash on turbo bearings. This effectively doubles the life of diesel turbochargers, saving you from costly replacements.
Designed for Powerstroke engines, including the 6 L Turbo Diesel, this oil eliminates stiction and injector issues that often plague these engines. There’s no need for additional additives, and it contains state-of-the-art dispersal and ash control systems to maintain engine cleanliness. This engine oil eliminates the need to clean diesel particulate filters, reducing maintenance and keeping your emission control systems in top shape.
- It has friction modifiers within the compound
- It adds turbocharger protection
- Specially designed for powerstroke engine performance
- Impressive drain intervals
- Turbocharger longevity doubles the lifespan
- Eliminates stiction and injector issues
- Reduces the frequency of oil changes
- Not as trusted and popular as other chocies
Buying Guide For The Best Oil For 5.9 Cummins
Engines generate a tremendous amount of heat during operation. Engine oil here helps dissipate the heat by carrying it away from critical components, preventing overheating and potential damage. In high-performance engines, efficient heat management is essential to maintain optimal performance. Engine oil also acts as a cleaning agent, picking up contaminants and debris that accumulate within the engine. It holds these particles in suspension, preventing them from causing damage. This is especially important in heavy-duty engines like those from Cummins, which often operate in challenging environments. Therefore, you need to ensure that your engine is always primed with engine oil, especially before you are leaving for a long journey as it can avoid engine problems during the long journey. We suggest going through our buying guide for the best engine oil first in case you are not aware about the important qualities of an engine oil.
1. Viscosity Grade
Viscosity directly impacts how well the oil lubricates the engine’s moving parts. In high-temperature conditions, such as those encountered during engine operation, a higher viscosity oil is needed to maintain a sufficient oil film between metal surfaces. This film of oil minimizes friction and wear by preventing direct metal-to-metal contact. On the other hand, in comparatively colder temperatures, a lower viscosity oil could be better to ensure that it flows quickly and effectively throughout the engine.
The numbers in the viscosity grade indicate the oil’s performance in different temperature conditions. The first number, followed by the letter “W” (e.g., 5W or 10W) represents the oil’s winter or low-temperature viscosity. A lower number indicates better flow properties in cold weather. The second number (e.g.30 or 40) represents the oil’s viscosity at high temperatures. This way, you can understand the oil’s properties in both states and make the right decision.
2. Maximum Engine Life
Engine oils also have the important role of carrying away contaminants and deposits that accumulate within the engine. This includes dirt, dust, metal particles, and combustion byproducts. Engine oil with excellent cleaning properties ensures that these harmful elements are suspended in the oil and removed during oil changes, preventing them from causing damage or reducing engine efficiency. Over time, cleaner engine internals contribute to a prolonged engine lifespan. High-quality engine oils are designed to withstand high temperatures without breaking down or forming harmful sludge. In extreme heat, lower-quality oils can degrade and lose their lubricating properties, exposing the engine to potential damage. Engine oils with excellent thermal stability maintain their integrity, ensuring consistent protection and prolonging the engine’s life.
3. Liquid Volume
Many vehicle owners prefer to change their engine oil themselves to avoid excess expenditure and have more control over the vehicle’s maintenance. Therefore, checking the quantity of oil in the container ensures that you have enough oil to complete the oil change without having to make additional trips to the store mid-process. It’s frustrating and potentially damaging to start an oil change only to realize you’re short on oil. By confirming the quantity of oil in the container, you can make an economical purchase. Engine oils are typically sold in various container sizes, such as quarts or liters. Buying the right quantity means you won’t spend extra money on oil you don’t need or buy too little and risk running short during an oil change. Engine oil containers are also recyclable, and using the right quantity reduces unnecessary waste.
Checking the compatibility of engine oil before making a purchase is of paramount importance to ensure that the oil you choose is suitable for your specific vehicle. The right engine oil is designed to protect your engine’s critical components by providing proper lubrication, cooling, and cleaning. Incompatible oils may lack the necessary additives or have properties that don’t align with your engine’s needs. This can lead to increased friction, excessive heat, and accelerated wear and tear, ultimately shortening your engine’s lifespan. Many vehicle manufacturers specify the type and grade of engine oil that must be used to maintain warranty coverage. Using an incompatible oil may also void your warranty and insurance, leaving you responsible for costly repairs. By checking compatibility, you ensure that the oil you choose adheres to your vehicle manufacturer’s guidelines.
Oil for 5.9 Cummins – FAQs
Ans: The frequency of oil changes for a Cummins engine can vary depending on several factors, including the specific engine model, the type of oil used, and the operating conditions. However, Cummins provides general guidelines for oil change intervals that you can follow. These intervals are typically based on mileage, engine hours, or a combination of both. For Cummins engines under normal operating conditions, the oil change interval is typically around 15,000 to 20,000 miles
Ans: As a general guideline, the 5.9-liter Cummins engine or Cummins 5.9L 12-valve engine typically requires approximately 12 quarts (3 gallons) of engine oil when performing an oil change with a new oil filter. It’s important to note that engine oil capacity can vary depending on factors such as the oil pan design and any aftermarket modifications. Therefore, it’s always recommended to consult your vehicle’s owner’s manual or service documentation for the precise oil capacity for your specific Cummins 5.9L engine model and year.
Ans: Yes, 15W-40 engine oil is generally suitable for use in a 5.9 Cummins engine. The choice of engine oil viscosity, such as 15W-40, is often based on factors like the engine’s operating conditions, climate, and manufacturer recommendations. In many cases, 15W-40 is a suitable multi-viscosity oil for Cummins 5.9L engines, especially if it is a diesel engine.
Ans: In most cases, there is no need for users to add aftermarket additives to engine oil. Manufacturers carefully formulate modern engine oils to meet the specific requirements of various engines and operating conditions. They already contain a balanced blend of additives designed to provide the necessary protection, lubrication, and performance-enhancing properties.
Ans: 15W-40 and 5W-40 are both engine oil viscosity grades, and they differ primarily in terms of their viscosity characteristics and how they perform in different temperature conditions. The 15W-40 rating indicates the oil’s winter or cold-weather viscosity. It means that this oil has a higher viscosity at low temperatures compared to 5W-40. However, Both 15W-40 and 5W-40 have the same viscosity at high temperatures. This means that once the engine reaches its normal operating temperature, both oils provide similar levels of lubrication and protection.
Engine oil is a core requirement of any vehicle engine, including high power engines such as Cummins engines . It’s essential for lubrication, heat regulation, cleaning, and sealing. However, choosing the right engine oil can be challenging due to factors like viscosity, additives, oil change intervals, manufacturer recommendations, environmental conditions, etc. To maintain the performance and longevity of high-powered engines like Cummins, it’s crucial to make an informed choice when selecting engine oil and adhere to manufacturer guidelines. To support you with that, we are bringing you the best oil change options available right now for 5.9 oil cummins. We also have a buying guide for you in case you wish to learn more about how you can choose the perfect engine oil based on its important qualities. Lastly, we will offer you our top recommendations so that you can make a quick choice.
- If you are looking for an engine oil that offers the best protection to your engine while prolonging its lifespan for a long time, we suggest going with the Shell Rotella Oil for 5.9 Cummins. Unlike most other choices, this is a set of 3 oil canisters, each offering 1 gallon quantity. The viscosity rating of this oil is 15W-40, which is pretty good considering this is full synthetic oil. This engine oil also ensures up to 1.5% improvement in fuel economy, which is surely a benefit in the long run.
- On the other hand, the Valvoline Oil for 5.9 Cummins has been the most popular choice for personal owners as well as professionals. Therefore, this can be an ideal choice for you if you want a trusted engine oil. This engine oil guarantees to maximize the engine life for nearly 75000 miles which is great for those who take proper care of their vehicle. And since this oil has maxlife technology which prevents engine breakdowns and offers nearly 40% better wear protection.
- Lastly, we will recommend Quaker State Oil for 5.9 Cummins if you are looking for a budget alternative for engine oil. This is a synthetic blend oil with a 5W-30 viscosity rating, which is not bad for such a cheaper option. Despite being an affordable choice, this oil is capable of combating engine slugs and deposits as well as other solutions. And since there are 2 options available in terms of quantity which are 1 quart and 5 quart, you can pick up the option that serves your current needs the best without worrying about wastage.