Routers for security cameras are fundamental in ensuring the effectiveness of your home or office security system.
Because without a reliable Wi-Fi connectivity, even the most advanced cameras can become unreliable, leading to gaps in surveillance.
A reliable router ensures extensive coverage, stable signals, high speeds, and consistent network performance to maintain optimal operation of your security cameras.
But with an array of options available, pinpointing the best router that meets your security needs can be overwhelming.
To help you choose the right option, we have highlighted the top three factors here.
- Frequency Band Class: Choose a dual-band router for less interference and better connection stability with your security cameras.
- Maximum Covering Range: Opt for a router with a wide range to ensure consistent connectivity across all camera locations.
- Data Transfer Rate: Select a router with a high data transfer rate for smooth, high-quality video streaming from your cameras.
Using these factors, we were able to shortlist the best routers for security cameras.
For further clarification, you can check our “Buying Guide” which includes all the information to streamline your decision-making process. Additionally, you can also check out the reviews of top picks where we scrutinize each model for its strengths and weaknesses.
Best Routers for Security Cameras List
Best Routers for Security Cameras Reviews
TP-Link, founded in 1996, is a globally recognized provider of reliable networking devices, offering a wide range of products that cater to the networking needs of individuals and businesses.
The TP-Link AC1750 supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies, ensuring compatibility with a wide range of devices and reducing interference. It features 3 external antennas for extended Wi-Fi range, making it ideal for homes with multiple rooms and outdoor areas.
With 4 Gigabit LAN ports, it allows fast access to multiple wired devices, and the integrated USB port provides additional connectivity options, acting as a media server. The powerful Qualcomm CPU supports many devices, with the capacity to connect over 50 devices simultaneously, making it suitable for households with multiple users and devices.
Adhering to the latest wireless communication standards, it ensures fast and reliable connections. Its stable performance, coupled with advanced WPA/WPA2 wireless encryption, provides a secure and uninterrupted internet experience.
Ideal for security cameras, the Archer A7 offers dual-band support to reduce interference and maintain stable connections. Its extensive coverage and high-speed data transfer rates ensure that security cameras can transmit high-quality footage without lag.
The router comes with 1-year warranty and its specifics can be checked for coverage details. TP-Link provides reliable customer support, which can be easily contacted for product assistance or troubleshooting.
- Frequency Band Class: Dual-band (2.4GHz and 5GHz) for versatile and stable connectivity.
- Maximum Covering Range: Exceptional coverage up to 2,500 Sq. Ft., ensuring wide-reaching connectivity.
- Data Transfer Rate: High-speed internet up to 1750 Mbps for seamless 4K streaming and gaming.
- Dual-band support for reduced interference
- High data transfer rate suitable for 4K streaming and gaming
- Wide coverage ideal for larger homes
- Ability to connect many devices
- Secure Wi-Fi with advanced encryption and parental controls
- It may require a modem for complete functionality with certain internet service providers
Google, a renowned leader in technology and innovation, presents the Nest AC2200, a mesh WiFi system designed to deliver seamless, reliable home connectivity.
The Google Nest AC2200 operates on a high-performance AC2200 frequency, providing robust and reliable WiFi coverage. It includes Ethernet ports, allowing for versatile connectivity options. The system supports a significant number of devices, with the capability to handle up to 200 connected devices simultaneously, making it ideal for modern, tech-heavy homes.
It adheres to the latest wireless communication standards, ensuring fast and secure connections for all types of devices. The Nest Wifi system is designed for seamless integration, working intelligently in the background to maintain fast speeds and stability as you move around your home.
The Google Nest AC2200 is particularly well-suited for security cameras due to its extensive coverage and strong signal, ensuring that cameras stay connected even in distant rooms or outside areas. Its high data transfer rate and capacity to handle many devices make it ideal for homes with multiple security cameras, ensuring smooth, uninterrupted surveillance footage.
Google provides 1-yearwarranty for the Nest AC2200, with details available on their website or product documentation. For customer support, users can easily reach out through the Google Home app or Google’s customer service channels for assistance with any issues.
- Frequency Band Class: AC2200 comes with complete mesh WiFi system.
- Maximum Covering Range: Covers up to 2200 Sq Ft per unit, scalable with additional units.
- Data Transfer Rate: High-speed connectivity suitable for streaming 4K videos and video calls.
- Extensive coverage perfect for large homes
- High capacity for multiple devices including security cameras
- Easy to set up and manage through the Google Home app
- Regular updates and advanced security features for a safe network
- Compatible with Google WiFi for expanded coverage
- The initial cost might be higher compared to standard routers
ASUS is globally recognized for its innovative and high-performance technology products, and the ASUS AC2900 stands as a testament to their commitment to quality and advanced networking solutions.
The ASUS AC2900 router supports both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies, ensuring wide compatibility and reduced interference. It boasts four external detachable antennas and an internal antenna, enhancing signal reach and stability.
The router is ideal for demanding tasks like online gaming and 4K UHD streaming, thanks to its adaptive QoS. Its built-in AiProtection, powered by Trend Micro, provides 24/7 protection from external threats. Additionally, the router can be easily managed via the ASUS router app, offering intuitive setup, usage monitoring, and parental controls.
The ASUS AC2900 is especially beneficial for security cameras, offering high data rates and extensive coverage to ensure stable and fast video streaming. Its advanced QoS can prioritize security camera traffic, ensuring uninterrupted surveillance footage.
ASUS provides 1-year warranty for the AC2900 router, with specifics available in product documentation or on their website. For assistance, ASUS customer support can be reached through various channels, offering helpful and responsive service for any product-related inquiries.
- Frequency Band Class: Dual-band (2.4 GHz + 5 GHz) AC2900 wireless router.
- Maximum Covering Range: Extensive coverage suitable for large homes and multiple room setups.
- Data Transfer Rate: Impressive speeds up to 2900 Mbps for seamless data streaming.
- High-speed connectivity ideal for demanding tasks
- Extensive coverage perfect for large homes
- Advanced security features with Ai Protection
- Adaptive QoS for prioritizing gaming and streaming
- User-friendly app for easy network management
- The price point may be higher compared to standard routers
NETGEAR, a global networking company, offers innovative products and solutions, and the Nighthawk AX5400 stands as a prime example of their commitment to high-performance technology.
The NETGEAR Nighthawk AX5400 boasts cutting-edge WiFi 6 technology, delivering significantly faster speeds and supporting more devices efficiently compared to its predecessors. It is equipped with 4 x 1G Ethernet ports for wired connections and a 3.0 USB port for sharing storage drives across the network. The router can handle up to 25 devices simultaneously, making it perfect for smart homes with multiple devices.
It is compatible with internet plans up to 1Gbps, including cable, satellite, fiber, and DSL, offering flexibility regardless of your ISP. Additionally, the Nighthawk AX5400 comes with NETGEAR Armor for advanced internet security and Smart Parental Controls, each with a 30-day free trial, enhancing safety and manageability.
For security cameras, the Nighthawk AX5400’s high data transfer rate and extensive coverage ensure that cameras stay connected and stream high-quality footage without lag. Its multiple streams and WiFi 6 capability mean it can handle numerous cameras along with other devices seamlessly.
This router is backed by a 1-year limited hardware warranty. NETGEAR provides customer support via various channels, ensuring users have access to help for setup, troubleshooting, and product queries.
- Frequency Band Class: Dual-band AX5400 for ultra-fast speeds and reliable connections.
- Maximum Covering Range: Up to 2,500 sq. ft. coverage, ideal for medium to large homes.
- Data Transfer Rate: Lightning-fast speeds up to 5.4 Gbps, ensuring smooth streaming and gaming experiences.
- Ultra-fast WiFi 6 technology supports heavy-bandwidth activities
- Extensive coverage suitable for larger homes
- High number of Ethernet ports for versatile connectivity
- Advanced security features with NETGEAR Armor and parental controls
- Easy setup and management with the Nighthawk App
- May be overkill for smaller homes or users with basic internet needs
Linksys, a trusted name in networking solutions, offers the Tri-Band MR9000 Mesh WiFi 5 Router, exemplifying their commitment to delivering reliable and high-performance wireless connectivity.
The Linksys MR9000 is equipped with Tri-Band technology and MU-MIMO (Multi-User Multiple-Input Multiple-Output), allowing it to provide high-speed WiFi to multiple devices at once. This router can deliver speeds up to 3 Gbps, making it perfect for streaming 4K media, online gaming, and browsing without buffering.
It supports over 25 wireless devices and works seamlessly with the Velop mesh WiFi system for expanded coverage. The router is designed with built-in Mesh WiFi, enabling it to adapt to your household’s growing WiFi needs. It includes four Gigabit Ethernet ports for high-speed wired connections and a USB 3.0 port for connecting shared storage devices and other peripherals. The
Linksys App facilitates easy monitoring and management of your home WiFi, including parental controls and guest access. The MR9000’s extensive coverage and high data rates make it well-suited for security cameras, ensuring stable and fast video streaming. Its ability to handle multiple devices simultaneously is ideal for homes with several security cameras.
This router comes with an exclusive extended 18-month warranty from Amazon. Linksys provides customer support through various channels for assistance with setup, troubleshooting, and other product-related inquiries.
- Frequency Band Class: Tri-Band WiFi for simultaneous high-speed data processing.
- Maximum Covering Range: Up to 3,000 sq. ft. coverage, expandable with Velop mesh nodes.
- Data Transfer Rate: Speeds up to 3 Gbps (AC3000), ideal for demanding internet usage.
- High-speed Tri-Band WiFi supports intensive internet activities
- Extensive coverage, expandable with Velop mesh nodes
- Supports many devices simultaneously
- Easy setup and management with the Linksys App
- Advanced connectivity options with Ethernet and USB ports
- May require additional Velop nodes for coverage in very large homes
Synology, renowned for its robust and innovative networking solutions, presents the RT2600ac, a versatile dual-band Gigabit Wi-Fi router designed for both home and office use.
The Synology RT2600ac features a powerful 1.7GHz dual-core processor, ensuring fast and reliable performance. It supports 802.11ac wave 2 radios with MU-MIMO, providing enhanced wireless capabilities and efficiently serving multiple devices simultaneously. Smart Connect ensures seamless transition between maximum speed and range, optimizing the network based on usage.
This router offers advanced traffic control and monitoring with hardware-accelerated Layer 7 traffic management, plus dual WAN support for load balancing and failover. It also includes comprehensive VPN capabilities, including WebVPN, Synology SSL VPN, and SSTP VPN, making it ideal for secure remote connections.
For security camera systems, the RT2600ac’s high-speed data transfer, reliable coverage, and advanced bandwidth management ensure uninterrupted video streaming and surveillance. Its robust security features, including intrusion prevention and firewall management, provide an additional layer of security for connected cameras.
Synology offers 1-year warranty for the RT2600ac, with details accessible through their knowledge center or customer support. Users can also find helpful setup and product information on Synology’s YouTube channel.
- Frequency Band Class: Dual-band Gigabit Wi-Fi for flexible and high-speed wireless connectivity.
- Maximum Covering Range: Wide coverage suitable for medium to large-sized homes or offices.
- Data Transfer Rate: Breakthrough wireless speeds of up to 2.53Gbps.
- High-speed dual-band Wi-Fi with MU-MIMO for efficient multi-device handling
- Comprehensive security features with regular updates
- Advanced VPN support for secure remote access
- Parental controls and traffic management tools for network optimization
- Versatile connectivity options, including multimedia and file-sharing capabilities
- The price point could be higher compared to standard routers
How to Choose the Best Router for Security Cameras?
When selecting the ideal router for your security cameras, several key factors must be considered to ensure you get the most reliable and effective device for your needs. We have mentioned detailed buying guide based on these essential criteria.
1. Frequency Band Class
The Frequency Band Class of a router is a critical factor when selecting one for security cameras.
- Single-band routers operate on a 2.4 GHz frequency and are more common and budget-friendly, but they are prone to interference from other household devices.
- Dual-band routers, offering both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequencies, provide a better choice for security cameras due to less interference and more stable connections. The 5 GHz band is faster and less congested, ideal for high-quality video streaming.
For more extensive systems or environments with heavy network traffic, tri-band routers are recommended. These include an additional 5 GHz band, significantly increasing bandwidth and reducing congestion, ensuring smoother video transmission even with multiple devices connected.
2. Maximum Coverage Range
The Maximum Covering Range is another crucial aspect. The effectiveness of a router in a security setup largely depends on whether the cameras are positioned indoors or outdoors. Indoor setups might not require as extensive a range as outdoor setups.
It is important to ensure that the router’s signal range covers the entire area where the cameras are installed. Additionally, physical obstructions like walls and floors can impact signal strength. A router with a strong signal and wide coverage is necessary, especially for outdoor cameras or larger properties, to maintain a consistent and strong connection to all cameras.
3. Data Transfer Rate
Data Transfer Rate is paramount for security cameras as it directly affects the quality of video footage. Routers with high data transfer rates, measured in Megabits per second (Mbps) or Gigabits per second (Gbps), are essential for transmitting high-quality video without lag or buffering.
High-resolution cameras, which are becoming increasingly common in security systems, require more bandwidth to function optimally. A router that can handle high data rates ensures that the video feed from these cameras is smooth and uninterrupted.
When multiple cameras are in use, it is crucial that the router can handle the combined load without compromising on speed or quality, especially for systems that require around-the-clock surveillance.
4. Frequency Support
When choosing a router, it is essential to check its compatibility with the frequency bands of your security cameras. Most modern cameras operate on either 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz frequencies. Some routers support only one of these, while dual-band routers support both. Choosing a router that matches the frequency of your cameras ensures optimal connectivity and performance, with less interference and better signal quality.
5. Number of Ports
The quantity of Ethernet ports on a router is crucial if you intend to hardwire any cameras or devices. More ports allow for more direct connections, which can be more stable and faster than wireless connections. Additionally, routers with USB ports offer added versatility, allowing for connection of external storage devices or other peripherals, which can be useful in a security camera setup.
6. Number of Devices Supported
Consider the total number of devices, including security cameras and other smart devices, that you will connect to the router. It is important to choose a router that can handle this number without any drop in performance. High-capacity routers can manage multiple devices simultaneously, maintaining speed and stability, which is crucial for a seamless security camera operation.
7. Wireless Communication Standard
When selecting a router, prioritize those with the latest Wi-Fi standards like Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax), which offer improved performance and better handling of multiple devices. These newer standards provide faster speeds and more efficient data management, essential for high-quality video streaming from security cameras. Also, check for backward compatibility to ensure the router works with older Wi-Fi standards, especially if you have legacy devices in your setup.
Choose routers renowned for their stable connections, a vital feature for continuous and uninterrupted surveillance. Stability is key to ensuring that your security cameras are always online and recording. Additionally, routers that allow the creation of a separate guest network add an extra layer of security, as it keeps your main network more secure and less exposed to external devices.
Opt for routers with a longer warranty period, as this offers greater peace of mind and protection for your investment. Check the warranty terms to understand what is covered. Good customer support from the router manufacturer is also crucial. It can be a lifesaver in resolving any technical issues quickly and efficiently, ensuring that your security system remains operational with minimal downtime.
Routers for Security Cameras – FAQs
Ans: For optimal compatibility with security cameras, select a Wi-Fi router that operates on a 2.4GHz frequency. Ensure the router provides distinct names (SSIDs) for its 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, as some cameras may struggle to connect if these frequencies share the same SSID.
Ans: Absolutely. To connect a security camera to your router, use a network cable. It is important to have a router with Power over Ethernet (PoE) support, as this allows the camera to receive both power and network access through the same cable.
Ans: For wireless security cameras, the closer they are to the router, the better the signal quality. Ideally, maintain a clear line of sight between them. Typically, such cameras can function effectively over 500 feet in open space, but this range drops to about 150 feet when inside buildings due to walls and other obstructions.
Ans: Not always. While wired security cameras may need an internet connection to upload video footage to the Cloud, many models have inbuilt storage or can be connected to a DVR. In these cases, they can operate independently without needing a direct connection to a router.
Ans: To find a camera linked to your router, first access the router’s administrative page by typing its IP address into a web browser. From there, navigate to the ‘connected devices’ section where you can identify the camera by its name or manufacturer details. This allows you to confirm the camera’s connection and network status.
In today’s interconnected world, choosing the right router for security cameras is not just a matter of convenience, but a crucial step in safeguarding your home and business.
With an array of options available, pinpointing the perfect router that meets your security needs can be overwhelming. That is where our comprehensive guide steps in, designed to navigate you through the intricate maze of technical jargon and specifications.
The ideal router should offer a perfect blend of range, speed, stability, and security features to meet the demands of your specific setup.
Our Top Recommendations for the Best Router for Security Cameras Are
- The TP-Link Router offers a balance of performance and affordability, making it a great choice for those seeking a reliable router without a high cost.
- The Google Nest Router excels in user-friendliness with its intuitive setup and management, making it ideal for users who value ease of use and a straightforward experience.
- Designed with gamers in mind, the ASUS Router boasts features like the WT Fast game accelerator, adaptive QoS, and high-speed connectivity, making it the top choice for gaming enthusiasts looking for low latency and robust performance.
Which router have you selected for your security camera? Share your experience or concerns below in the comment section.